Why He Came

Rhys

When I saw Alex, who was supposed to be in New York right now running towards me while i was in a meeting room in Toronto. I realised how much I had screwed up.

Three days ago, my phone had been stolen. Two days after, I realised that my phone was gone. So all the calls that I had been getting were attending by the thief.

He was out of breath when he burst into the room "I need to talk to you" I stood there looking at him with confusion.

What had brought Alex from all the way from Amercia to Canada because he needed to talk to me.

I excused myself from the team, and walked out. I found Alex standing in my office. Sweat trickled down his neck and disappeared into his clothes.

"What's wrong, Alex?" I said as I locked the door behind me.

He turned towards me with such anger in his eyes, sprinted towards me and grabbed me by my collar.

"Do you have any idea what has been going on in New York?!" He yelled in my face, I pushed him away.

"The chaos that has been going on and here he is Rhys James Holt sleeping with God knows who" his sentence made me freeze. Clearly, this was a huge misunderstanding.

"What are you talking about? I haven't slept with anyone in the longest time? Would you cut this bullshit and tell me what the fuck is going on?" This time I was the one who was yelling.

"Ridge. Avery's brother died about three days ago" was all he said making me feel as in the rug was pulled beneath my feet.

"And we have been trying to contact you, but we were sent to the voicemail. When Avery called you the night it happened. Some chick picked up saying that you were in the shower" he looked at me with such hatred.

Ridge was dead. I couldn't even imagine the pain she must be here.

"My phone was stolen three days ago. The person who picked up the phone was probably the thief's girlfriend" I took out the new phone that had come this morning and threw it towards him.

Alex caught it and looked at the phone.

"Your Dad sent me here, when you couldn't get a hold of you. Avery is at her worst Rhys. I only saw her twice in these three days and she is lost, hurt but keeping it together for her family's sake" he let out sigh.

My heart was beating so fast. I moved swiftly, the faster I moved the more it felt like I was losing her.

"We need to go, now" I said as I left the office with Alex trailing behind me.

On the flight, it came to my attention that today was the funeral. The time that we had calculated, we were probably going to miss it.

My concern was Avery. I imagined what she would be thinking of me right now. I promised that I was going to be there for her, but I wasn't. It was like all the odds weren't in my favour. I groaned as I realised that she must be thinking that I was on a getaway, how disgusted she must be feeling.

"Sarah's boyfriend cheated on her too" Alex added making me feel like I wasn't the biggest problem Avery had listed down.

"When that guy, Ryan came yesterday morning. Avery slapped him in front of everyone not once caring who was standing in her company. Sarah didn't stop her, later she spit on him and told him how disgusted she was. How they aren't going to be friends anymore" I sat there and listened.

Was she going to slap me or spit on me? Or was she hurt so much that she wouldn't do anything about me?

I cursed myself for being so neglectful. How did I let this happen?