|15

Lola woke up feeling tired and dead inside. She had really started to believe the stuff that had come out of Chris' mouth. Maybe it was because she liked the idea of her mother being alive.

She finally got herself out of bed and got herself ready in the bathroom.

When she was done she woke up her cousin by knocking loudly.

"Dang. Chill out. You ain't the damn police" she aid swinging her door wide open.

"Next time I'll let you be late then" Lola shrugged walking back into her room.

When she had finished breakfast she waited on Shamika by the front door and scrolled through her feed on instagram. On her explore page she noticed a picture of Michael and Jay from the party. She rolled her eyes mentally. She ain't got a problem with the girl, just the fact that Michael ditched her for her.

"I'm ready, let's go" Shamika stated walking out the door first.

As they began walking to their bus stop, they heard a beep coming from behind them.

"Keep walking, niggas be thirsty these days" Shamika rolled her eyes and linked arms with her cousin so she wouldn't turn.

"How would you know?" Lola scoffed.

"Bitch- you ain't seen my ass or something?" She laughed walking with a bump so that her hips would sway more. But it was true, Shamika had a fatty.

Lola laughed and kept it moving until the car pulled up and rolled its windows down

"So you not talking to me or something?" Darius asked.

"Oh, I didn't know it was you." Lola smiled walking to the car. "Don't you live on the other side of town?"

"I circled the block looking for your house. They all look the same and when I dropped you off it was dark" he shrugged. "I was gonna offer to take you to school"

"Damn, you really got niggas taking you to school. I don't know how you do it" Shamika said opening the back door.

"Shamika watchu doing?" Lola gasped.

"You not getting in?" She asked pouting with her bottom lip.

"It's ok" Darius chuckled looking back at Shamika. "So you coming?" He asked looking at Lola.

***

"My name's Shamika" Shamika introduced herself pausing the music playing on her earphones.

"I'm Darius" Darius said as he drove.

"Are you on the basketball team?" Shamika asked.

"Yeh"

"Do you know Emmanuel?" She asked.

"Why'd you care about Emmanuel?" Lola asked. She wasn't feeling him since he brought up the shooting.

"Nothing, we just say hi sometimes" she shrugged.

Lola turned back to look out the front window, since she was sitting in the passenger seat.

"So are you guys definitely coming to the game on Friday?" Darius asked stopping at a traffic light.

"Hell yeah. Your friends are hot" Shamika admitted casually.

"I'll tell them you said so" he chuckled.

"I heard there's a party afterwards" Shamika stated.

"If we win" Darius said.

"Aren't you going to see your dad on Saturday?" Lola asked Mika.