Chapter 1

I stepped inside, shivering from the cold. My large leather jacket clung to my slender frame. I was exhausted.
I sighed and gradually made my way to the front desk of the cortez, swaying from side to side as I did so. I was a wreck. I reached out and rang the bell with all the strength I had left in me.
An older woman walked out, adjusting her glasses as she looked at me. She had a face as hard as nails but her eyes told the story of so much pain. Much like me, she appeared to be wearing a protective shell of sarcasm and aggression to hide her grief. She coughed, breaking me out of my gaze.
"I'm sorry... I have a tendency to stare... I hope I wasn't being rude. May I book a room, please?" I asked politely, my weary voice trembling slightly as I did so.
"We're all booked up." she spoke gruffly in return.
I sighed, my heart dropping to the floor.
"please... Are you sure you can't spare any rooms? I have nowhere to go... I'll even pay extra... I really need a room... " I explained, desperation oozing from me.
She looked up at me, with what looked to be a mixture of pity and regret. Suddenly, she turned and pulled out a key, handing it back to me. Room 64.
"Liz. Take this girl to her room." she sighed. I thanked her as I followed Liz to the elevator.

Me and Liz talked on the way to my room. She was far friendlier than her counterpart. I told her about my job, how I write and on occasion sing songs. She was rather encouraging and told me "oh honey, goddesses don't speak in whispers, they scream"
It sounded as though she was quoting someone. Perhaps someone who helped her find herself as Liz Taylor.

I smiled as she opened the door and stammered inside. Liz had been helping me walk all the way to the room. After what happened... After I had to leave... I couldn't function. This was the best I could manage.

"Do you guys happen to have any wifi?"
"No, honey, sorry. In fact, this whole buildings a dead zone. There's a phone in each room for your convenience, local calls are free and there's a $50 fine for losing your key." she replied.
"Sounds like you've had to say that a lot" I chuckle.
"Thanks Liz"
She smiles and leaves me alone.
The room was old fashioned, sure. But it had a certain charm to it. It had soul. I looked around and finally pulled a flask out from my jacket, taking a large swig of the whiskey that was stored inside.
"Fucking hell" I sighed, flopping onto the bed.
Let's just say, it's been a long week.

I'd told Liz about how I needed a place to stay after being thrown out of my place by one of my roommates. What I hadn't told her was why. Honestly, I can't blame him for throwing me out. I guess I'm dangerous now. I didn't know what was wrong with me, to begin with. After it happened, I gathered my stuff and left. I hoped there might be some suggestion in one of my mother's old journals. What I found, wasn't what I was expecting. Apparently I was a witch.
I didn't have a wart on the end of my nose, I wasn't green nor did I fly on a broomstick. But I was a witch none the less.
A. Mother. Fucking. WITCH.

You see, I was originally from New York. When I was nine we had to move to New Orleans. My mom said it was because I shouldn't be around people. We lived by the swamp. I always had a fascination with plants and animals and all things deemed strange for a young girl to love.
As a child, I'd occasionally meet with another girl I knew, named Misty Day. After she was burnt at the stake for being a witch.... I left. She was my only friend after my parents passed. It was devastating to see such an awful thing happen to the purest of souls.
So, I moved to LA. With me, I took my dream of becoming a musician. Me and Misty would often sing together and muse over song lyrics. Man I missed her.

Who knew that we were two souls conjoined by the same affliction. It was just such a shame we never had a chance to share our gifts.

When I was thirteen years old, my parents died in a freak accident. It was Halloween. I used to love Halloween. I'd always try to terrify the people whom surrounded me. Halloween was the one time of year I felt normal. I could be weird, freaky, no one would care. I didn't have to hide myself or be ashamed.
Only now do I see the foreshadowing. I guess I should've known that I was a witch. I have been dancing with the devil for such a long time.
I never meant for this to happen. Someone died because of my powers. For that, I could not forgive myself. So here I was, locking myself away to protect the world.
I just didn't realise then, how stupid a mistake Id made. I wasn't the danger in that hotel.
I was fresh meat.