Chapter 22

Flashback

I'd recently met James, for some reason it felt like I'd known him for far longer than but a few days. He knew things about me that I'd never told anyone merely by looking at me. It was as though he had a window into my soul. And honestly, it drew me in closer like a moth to a flame. No one had ever truly shown themselves as a challenge to me, but James did. I liked that.

"Here we are." I smirked at the hapless young man whom I'd dragged up to my room. This was the first time I'd ever done something such as this. Honestly, at the time, I wasn't sure what exactly I was doing.
I opened the door, pulling the blonde man inside. His deep green eyes were focused on me. My gaze stayed stuck on those mossy eyes. My ocean blue ones fixed on him like a predator watching its prey. Before everything at the Cortez, my eyes were a deep and emotional blue. They were sad and happy. They were hopeful. By the time I reached the coven, the light had left my eyes. They'd gone from a deep, dark, ocean blue to cold light blue eyes that shone like ice.
I pushed the man onto the chair, gulping as I did so. James had already talked me through all of this. We'd been discussing it in detail for days on end. I'd eventually decided on how I was going to do it. Now all that was left was the actual act.
I sat on top of this stranger, eyes searching his. Could he tell what I was about to do? Should I even do this? Was this me? Only one way to find out.
My hand gripped the knife that I always kept in my boot. This was far different from using my powers, more personal. Something mildly enticing about it.
Before I could even take the knife from out of my boot, I was on the floor. Clearly he did know what was about to happen. The knife fell beside me, too far from my grasp for me to fight back. The man looked down at me, a terrifying ferocity that I'd seen so many times before in previous lovers. Without a word, he lunged for the knife and buried it into my knee.
Blood poured out from my trembling leg. Fire filled my veins. The pain was excruciating.
The man inched closer, yanking the knife out from my agonizing leg. His hands reached up to my throat, grasping onto it tightly. I couldn't concentrate enough to use my powers. Nothing. The world began to fade into a mesh of colours. Everything getting hazy as I desperately gasped for air, clawing at his muscular hands in an attempt to escape.
"Now, that's no way to treat a lady." I heard James sigh.
Suddenly a loud bang shot through the room. The the large hands that once held my airways captive went limp against the carpet as this blonde haired man toppled to the ground. I heaved in a deep breath, coughing slightly.
The world was still a blur. My heavy lids closed, the darkness leaking in. James wrapped his arms around me, clearly thinking I was far too unconscious to know. He held me closely.
"You're safe now, dearest." Was the last I heard before nothing but an endless silence.

Flashback over

"Bella? Bella, open up!" I heard Zoe yell, banging on my door.
I rubbed my tired eyes, light leaking in from behind my curtains. Oh. I'd overslept... Again.
I pulled the warm, cosy, bedsheets off me, though I was desperate yo return to them. My bare feet dragged against the cold wooden floor. Tap. Tap. Tap.
I opened my white wooden door with a groan.
"What?" I sighed.
"Let me in. It's important." She stressed.
I didn't argue. I knew not to. I'd never seen Zoe like this. She wasn't one to panic, not even now. She was composed and fearsome, a perfect leader. However, you could always see the severity of the matter lurking behind her eyes.
I shut the door behind her.
"Yes?" I urged.
"There was a fire last night... In a bar up town. They think it was one of the witches here. I have to know... Please... Was it you?" She stressed more.
"Me? I'm reformed." I chuckled, bouncing back onto my bed.

"That wasn't a no, Bell. I just need you to say it to me so I know it's not true. You could get burned for this. You know fifteen people died, right?"
"It wasn't me. You can tell that to whoever else thinks it was me. They need evidence to burn me." I rolled my eyes.
"Evidence like you getting increasingly violent? Evidence like you being the only witch to leave here last night? Evidence like the clairvoyants who will know that you're lying. I can't see another witch burn, Bell. If you have somewhere to go... Go there now." Her eyes went from accusing to caring in a matter of seconds. Was she helping me run?

"Why? Why are you helping me?" I asked in awe.
"Maybe there's still a part of the person Misty knew in there." She sighed. My heart broke at the memory of my friend. The memory that I had desecrated by acting as I have been doing.
"Thank you, Zoe." I hugged her.

I knew where I had to go.

The only place someone like me could call home.
I could never live up to Misty's memory.

I have to live this life for me.
And there was only one place that I had ever truly belonged.

The Hotel Cortez.