6 - Swanning Around

Nala winces as Carlisle pulls the dressing off her back; she digs her nails into Esme's hands but it doesn't affect the woman. She just rubs her thumbs over the backs of Nala's hands. "You're all good, Nally, almost done." Esme soothes.

She closes her eyes and takes deep breaths as Carlisle cleans the wounds gently and redresses them. "Y-you'd think after three d-days of this I'd be a pro." She whisper as Esme helps her slip the oversized shirt on.

"It's going to take time, honey, I'm sorry. But you've done so well already." Esme kisses her head and her eyes dart out the window.

Nala looks over but can't see what Esme can hear. "What?" She whispers and looks back at Esme.

"I hear a car coming... Charlie." She says as the police cruiser pulls into the drive way.

"Why would the chief of police be here?" She asks Esme.

Esme purses her lips; she promised Jasper she wouldn't say... "Esme, why is he here?" Nala demands, panic evident in her voice.

Esme strokes her cheek. "Emily... Emily wants Lilo. Doesn't think you're of sound mind to care for her or yourself."

"W-why wouldn't Jasper say!?" She says as she rushes to the livingroom and picks Lilo up from her toys holding her close.

"Because I didn't want to worry you - and you shouldn't be holding her." Jasper says as he appears. "Let me deal with Charlie okay?"

"Jasper they can't take my baby! She isn't safe with them!" Nala whispers holding in a sob.

Jasper cups her cheeks. "Shhh, I got this. I promise. Charlie... knows things. Let me sort this okay? Please."

Nala looks into his warm eyes and shakily nods; he kisses her lips gently and heads downstairs as she sinks to the floor with Lilo. The infant buries her head in her moms warmth, something she's been without for a few days. Nala runs her hand up and down Lilo's back in a repetitive manner to calm them both.

"Momma's here booboo." She coos to the little girl, holding her close. Lilo's eyes grow heavy as she begins to falls sleep in her mother's embrace, relaxed and peaceful for the first time in a while. Esme has been keeping an eye on her and says she's been restless when she sleeps, often crying out. She's not used to not being beside Nala, they used to co-sleep or her crib always allowed her to see her mom.

She looks over as she hears heavy boots walking up the stairs - definitely not a Cullen. She grips Lilo a little tighter as she sees Charlie walk in, his hands on his hips. "Chief..." She says slowly.

"Don't worry, I'm not gonna take her." He says, holding a hand out as if to say stop, don't panic yet. "I'm here sort of on a personal matter. Your aunt Sue wants to check you're okay-"

"You can tell her I'm fine. But you don't utter a word to anyone else. You knew, this whole time? You didn't warn me?" She stares at him angry, not moving from where she sits on the floor.

He sighs. "I did. Trust me, I wish I could have given you a heads up - hell I wish I'd had one - but its pack law. Just... Rest up, get yourself well. Emily has no grounds to stand on, I just wanted to let you know personally that no one will take your little girl." He promise.

Nala exhales shakily. "Thank you... Thank you." She slowly stands and offers a hand to shake; Charlie smiles and shakes it a little before he let's go. Nala turns away and holds Lilo close, swing.

Charlie stares at the bulky guaze apparent under Nala's baggy shirt. He glances at Jasper before they head back downstairs. "The kids beating himself up, Jasper." Charlie says as he looks over at the golden haired man stood in the doorway.