29 - Hello, it's me

Nala stares at her mate, frozen. He raises an eyebrow slowly. "Sorry... Is everything okay?"

She finally manages to take a breath, nodding small. "Fine... Can I take a look?" she whispers and he nods. She looks up at him as she gently prods his wrist, watching as he winces; his skin is warm, slightly tanned. It's like she's in a dream world.

"Yeah... So the other nurse said I just needed an xray?" He says.

"Yeah, um I agree. Sorry." She forces a smile. "I'll take yoh through soon." She says, quickly closing the curtain as she runs, literally, to the staff room digging her phone out. She rushes to the familiar number.

"Nala it's been a while. I was going to send someone to check on you." Aro says.

"Not now, okay? Jasper's here." She says breathless.

Aro is a bit more alert at this. "Here? Where is here, Nala?"

"The hospital I work at, in the middle of Chicago in the middle of the summer. He's sat there and he didn't know who I was." She tears.

Aro sighs. "Oh Nala I did say... I'll be there soon, okay? Do not make any moves to make him remember, we don't know where the crawler is."

She nods shakily. "Fine fine... Aro, why is he here?"

"That's what I'm going to find out." He says before ending the call and rushing to let his brothers know hell be taking a trip alone. Aro has grown fond of that human, he must admit, though he knows its a disaster waiting to happen. Humans die, they're disposable, but he might be a bit upset if she was lost.

Nala shakily runs a hand through her hair and composes herself, heading back to Jasper. She composes herself fully and opens the curtain. "This way Mr..."

"Whitlock." He says as he stands.

"Oh how weird, that's Nallys last name." One nurse says as she passes.

Jasper frowns. "That is weird... I didn't think it was that common of a name." He says tilting his head. Just like he used to.

"It was my ex husbands name." She mutters and leads him to the xray room. She puts the file in to the clipboard. "I'll come collect you when you're done."

She tries to make a swift exit but Jasper asks another question. "Ex? What was his first name?"

"James." She lies, keeping her head down as she walks away. Aro best get here soon... She can't take this. In an odd way, Aro has been a big support system. Just after they left Forks he came by, they were in a motel on their way to Chicago at this point.

Her hate for him was strong at first but it did pass, slowly. And he's checked in on her ever since, almost every other day, but at least once a week. It's sweet really, even if she knows what he's really like. Maybe he just needed to see a human as more than just a bite to eat, who knows.

She tries to avoid jasper some more but she eventually has to take him back to his cubicle. She switches the files and leads him back. "The-"

"Sorry hang on - my wife's worrying again." He laughs as he responds to a message.

Her heart clenches. He looks up when he's done. "The doctor will be through soon and then I will put a cast on." She says before rushing off. She locks herself in a cubicle and throws up, her stomach churning. His wife?

Last time she checked, it was still her. She still wears the rings, has the dress and the photos. She takes shallow breaths as her mind floods with it all.

"Are you going to throw up again because I'm not coming in if you are."

"A b-blood thirsty vampire is afraid of-of sick?" She laughs weakly and pushes herself up, opening the cubicle. She leans her head on it as she sees Aro leant on the counter, cloak and all.