20 - Old Life

Jasper waits on the edge of the playground for Lilo to finish in a few minutes, his mind elsewhere. He's so mad at Nala right now - how on earth can she defend Taylor when he pushed her down a flight of stairs knowing she was 7 months pregnant? How can she let it go when it was their baby in danger, when it was her in danger? What would he have done if he'd lost them both?

His thoughts rage and so do his emotions, but that all melts away as he sees Li running towards him. He bends down and catches her in a hug. "There's my girl!"

Lilo grins. "Hi daddy. Are we going to the park?"

"Yes, Emmett said he has better things to do than go to the park." He teases.

Lilo scowls. "Nuh uh!"

"I'm just teasing, he's gonna come right after he's done a job for auntie Ro, okay?" He kisses her cheek and carries her to the car.

She grins triumphantly. "Good."

Jasper smiles and drives to the big park just outside of town where most of the school children go after schools out. He holds Li's hand as they head in the gate and she's off moments later, running to the slide. He sits on a bench and watches, letting his thoughts wander.

He's so deep in his thoughts and watching Lilo that he doesn't notice the scent of an unknown vampire enter his vicinity. He doesn't notice when said being walks close by and watches him from across the park. Her eyes are dark with thirst, but she's got other plans than feeding on her mind - she wants to see her Jasper.

As he looks away from Lilo and inhales for the first time in a while, his whole body tenses as he catches the scent. A familiar one... But where does he know it from? He looks around, his eyes wide and nostrils flaring, before catching sight of her ; his whole body goes cold.

"Maria..." He whispers.

She smiles wide when he finally sees her, waving a little. Jasper's phone rings and he answers, not looking away. "Yes?"

"Jasper-" It's his old friend, Peter.

"If you called about Maria, you're a second too late. She's here." He ends the call and slips his phone away, slowly walking over to the fence she waits by; his fists are clenched at his sides while his jaw is tight.

"My Jasper." Maria smiles wide, reaching a hand out to touch him.

He snatches it before she can and throws it back at her. "What the fuck are you doing here?!" he demands.

Maria lays the hand he threw on her chest. "I came to see an old friend-"

"Friend!? You can hardly class me as that. You're the witch who created me, that's it. You aren't a friend, or acquaintance. You're nothing. Go." He growls.

"But-" Maria's eyes snap to the little girl running over to Jasper.

"Daddy, I fell!" she cries.

Jasper instantly kneels down and catches her, holding her close. "Oh baby, I'm so sorry I didn't see. I could've stopped you." He whispers, feeling guilty.

"Who is she jasper?" Maria asks.

Jasper ignores her and holds Lilo close, kissing her hand that's a little scraped. "One more go down the slide then we can go home to mommy, yeah?"

She nods and wipes her eyes, running off to the slide again. Jasper turns back to Maria. "Hey, eyes on me." He snaps.

Maria looks back to him. "What is this, a joke? The Jasper Hale tied down with a what, human? Disgusting." She spits.

Jasper glares. "You're disgusting. And there's nothing wrong with being human. You should try it some time." He snaps before turning away.

Maria grabs his arm. "Jasper wait please, I came for help!" She begs. "Please!"