19 - New Life

(Shay Mitchell is pregnant irl now and I'm so so happy for her ❤️😍)

Jasper bounces Effie, at a loss for what to do. She's just crying and crying and she won't stop. He doesn't want to wake Nala, she has had Effie the last few nights but he's fed her, changed her, burped her. She's just not settling.

"Cmon Effie please." He coos. He has a gift of settling people why can't he do it naturally?

"Let me." Nala says softly as she rubs her eyes.

Jasper sighs and reluctantly hands her over, scowling as Esther instantly settles in his mates arms. Of course - typical. Nala coos at the baby as she bounces her gently. "There we go angel, that's it."

"You're a lot better at this than me." Jasper says as he leans on the dresser.

Nala smiles small. "Practice. And you always forget an extra blanket when you cuddle her."

"Then I can't feel her warmth." He scowls.

"I know baby, but that warmth is what she needs, not you. When she gets a bit older it'll be easier I promise." Nala kisses his cheek and heads to the rocking chair, carefully sitting down with Effie on her chest.

Jasper watches his mate. "So... I've been holding off on asking this. Purely because of how traumatic everything has been and the event was but... Carlisle said you told him you were pushed down the stairs. Were you?"

Nala looks down at Esther. "I don't remember."

"Yes you do, baby, please don't lie." He goes and kneels by her,taking her hand. "I won't be mad or angry or anything. I just want to know what really happened so you can stop blaming yourself."

"I fell." Nala says sternly. "I must've been a bit loopy from hitting my head or something, I don't know why I said it."

Jasper sighs heavily - they both know she's lying. "You need to tell me eventually. We both know who it was."

"He may be hot headed but he wouldn't do this." She says, glaring at him.

Jasper clenches his jaw. "He held a gun to your head. You think he isn't capable of more?"

"No matter how much Taylor threatened me, he didn't have an ounce of courage in his body - none. He wouldn't have done this, you think I'd defend him so easily after everything he did to me and my family?" Nala says, hurt and scowling.

Jasper rubs his forehead, a metaphorical headache forming. "Someone did that to you, to my mate and my baby. This doesn't just stop at you, it affected all of us - me, Lilo, the others."

"You don't think I know that?" Nala looks at her sweet Esther sleeping on her chest before staring at Jasper. "You think I don't understand that it was more than just me that was affected there? But you don't get it Jasper, you aren't human. You must wonder why I defend a man who did some ghastly things to me, well I do so because once upon a time I loved him and he is still the man who shares dna with our daughter. I can't get my head around the idea that he'd harm me or try to emotionally harm her, that doesn't seem in his character. You are constantly thinking of things from a battle perspective, a 170 odd year old mindset."