Chapter Four: You're Different

New Insert Term:

(OS/UC) = Out of state (or country) university of choice

(D/N) = Your dog's name

(Y/N) POV:

BRRRRRING!

I instinctively jump up in my black, swivel chair and drop my red, corrective pen at the sound of the bell's abrupt ringing echoing throughout my classroom.

The end of the second period had come and gone a lot faster than I had anticipated; catching both me and a few of my students off guard.

I look up towards the clock above the chalkboard and slightly frown once it stops ringing.

Jeez, it's 11:30 already?

How?!

It feels like it's barely been 30 minutes! Those kids barely had enough time to finish my assessment!

"Ms. Levi/Kohl?" A familiar little girl's voice calls out.

Turning my attention away from the clock, I look out towards my handful of students and lock eyes with Playtime.

"Yes, Playtime?" I ask, leaning forward in my desk. "What is it?"

Playtime smiles and holds up her finished assessment, waving it around in the air frantically like it's her golden ticket out of here.

"Where would you like us to turn these in?" She reiterates.

The other children nod in unison to her question and look up at me, eagerly awaiting my response.

"Uh, great question," I pause while taking a quick glance around the room.

I honestly haven't thought that far yet.

I hum aloud in thought.

"How about this. Let's have everyone line up, in a single file line by the door and I'll take your assessments as you leave." I offer with a smile before standing up from my black swivel chair. "Sound good?"

She nods along with the rest of her other classmates before jumping out of her seat!

Within a flash, both Playtime, First Prize and Arts and Crafters had scrambled to their "feet" and began to racing each other over to the door, fighting to be the first one in line to hand in their assessment.

I narrowly dodge Playtime along with the two others while stepping out from behind my desk.

"Woah! Easy there, kids!" I giggle apprehensively while making my way up to the door. "What's the rush? You guys got recess next or something?"

The three kids shake their heads in unison as I pull open the blue classroom door and stand in its doorway to hold it open.

"No, we've got lunch!" The three of them cheer.

I openly laugh at their overly excited nature and extend out one of my free hands to start collecting their papers.

"Oh wow! Lunch, huh? How exciting!" I exclaim, "Best not keep either of you waiting!"

They all nod mutually in agreement and eagerly hand in their papers.

The first person to turn in their assessment is First Prize, followed by Arts and Crafters, and lastly, Playtime.

After briskly and haphazardly turning in their papers, the first two goofballs mutter a quick "thank you" and "goodbye" to me, before racing off down the hallway and around the corner; out of my line of sight and towards the lunchroom.