Chapter Ten: The Camping Trip (Part 1 of 3): Peril

(Y/N)'s POV:

Time sure flies when it's summer, even when you're in summer school!

By now it's August, and things have roughly been the same since my second day on the job.

My classroom remains respectful and the students are attentive during my teachings. I've gotten to learn a little bit more about the kids during my free time and counseling periods. Including the school's faculty!

Princi and Gotta Sweep have been nothing, but helpful and genuinely great colleagues!

Baldi, on the other hand, although helpful and usually chipper to have around, has been persistently touchy and eager to get closer to me.

During my first few weeks of teaching, his unwanted advances were bothersome, but nothing too overwhelmingly challenging and/or concerning in my opinion.

As time went on though, his advances got progressively worse.

Nowadays, Baldi constantly stops by my classroom to practice equations and weasel his way into my personal space.

Depending on how he's feeling or how his day went, his touches can range from gentle and innocent shoulder pats to disturbing and questioning shoulder rubs/massages.

He's additionally upgraded his outfit too. Not by much, but underneath his green sweater, he'll occasionally wear a white collared dress shirt with a black tie. It certainly is fancier and something that catches my eye, but I don't pay much attention to it.

Speaking of attention-seeking behavior, random small gifts have strangely been showing up at my desk and my apartment while I'm out.

The gifts mainly consist of flowers, chocolates, and some minor trinkets I've thought about treating myself to in the near future, but never actually told anyone I was thinking about getting said trinket.

It's quite bizarre, especially when all of these gifts usually come with either a blank note or no note at all, leaving me at a total loss for who is directly responsible.

Before these gifts started to escalate and show up at my apartment, I began to narrow down the culprit to two responsible parties.

One was Baldi and the other was my students.

At first, I genuinely thought these gifts were being sent to me by my students, as some sort of peculiar, elaborate prank!

It made the most sense to me, considering that they were the first to bring up a possible romantic relationship between Baldi and me.

That is until I caught Baldi leaving behind a bouquet of roses on my classroom desk.

When confronted about it, Baldi denied that the flowers were from him. He claimed that they were dropped off at the front door with my name listed on the card and that he was only bringing them by to my office as a show of good faith.

Initially, I didn't believe him, considering his flustered state after getting caught red-handed. However, after reading the small, filled-out card attached to the bouquet, I gave Baldi the benefit of the doubt.

It was the first card I've been given with actual handwriting written within.

It read, "To (Y/N), with love. XOXO."

The handwriting was in cursive and didn't look recognizable to me in the slightest.

I ended up letting Baldi off the hook since I knew that wasn't his handwriting. I've seen him write before, and it's nowhere near that fancy!

For the time being, my focus returned to my students regarding these "secret admirer" gifts but abandoned that focus altogether when those same gifts started randomly appearing at my apartment's front doorstep.