Chapter 18

"Why didn't you tell me before!?" Adam shot up from the sand and stood there staring down at me. I looked down at my hands that were covered in sand. The world started to blur together into a single color.

"Oh, fuck you! You make yourself seem like you're the only one that doesn't hold secrets!" I yelled at him as tears rolled down my face. I saw a pinch of pain go through his eyes.

"And don't fucking deny it, Adam!! Why haven't I seen you ever go into the ocean?! And don't tell me that you are aquaphobic because I've seen you swimming in a pool perfectly fine!!" I continued

"I WON'T GO INTO THE OCEAN BECAUSE MY OWN MOTHER TRIED TO DROWN ME!!!! HAPPY BLAIR!?!?! HUH!?!?!" He was burst out in anger and it scared me. Never in the time that I'd known him, had he raised his voice that much. I took a step back but tripped over a piece of driftwood.

He was over me in seconds, my breathing picked up as I brought my arms up to protect myself. A small whimper escaped my chest as I looked to see what was stopping him. Adam's eyes had gone glassy, I brought my arms down. He bit down on his lip and looked out to the ocean, he suddenly just fell to the sand and curled up into a ball. His shoulders started to shake and hid his face from me.

I propped myself onto my elbows, taking in the scene that had unfolded in front of me. A burst of fear came over me... Did I hurt him!!!! I suddenly got on all fours and crawled over to him. He had his head in between his legs and had his arms around them.

"Adam?" I called to him softly before placing a hand on his shoulder. He flinched under my touch. He suddenly let out the smallest sob.

"Adam... please talk to me." I wrapped my arms around him. I felt goosebumps go up and down his body.

"I'm going to go get your sweater..." I said about to get up but Adam quickly grabbed onto my waist. I looked down to see his red face looking up with fear.

"Please... don't leave me... you're all I have left." The crack in his voice shattered me like a mirror. I sat down again and wrapped my arms around him. I felt the weight of his head on my shoulder.

"My family... isn't my actual family." He recited as I blankly stared at him trying to comprehend what he was saying, 

"They adopted me when I was 15. My real family lived in South Carolina, in an area around Myrtle Beach. We had this small house right along the beach, it was a sort of family heirloom that house." He said looking up to the greyish sky.

"I was the second oldest out of my siblings, Werner was my oldest brother, then me, then Petra my sister, after her was Sebastian, and last but not least my youngest brother Hugo. I and my brothers were the 4 Musketeers, as for my sister... she would clean up all our messes.

My mother and father were never at home. So Werner and I raised all my siblings... but it wasn't as easy as it seemed. My parents would come home wasted or high, they would always get angry at us over the stupidest reasons--" His voice broke and I naturally started to rub his back.

"I have my last week there was imprinted on my mind... I still haven't forgiven myself for leaving my siblings there. It was my 13th birthday and my youngest siblings decided to throw a very small party in the basement to celebrate. Petra and Werner baked a cake and cooked a nice dinner for all of us to eat, they even made little gifts for me... my parents had never celebrated anyone's birthday, so all the birthdays we threw were by a bunch of teens or pre-teens.

Anyway... I was told by my siblings that I didn't need to clean with them and that I could go relax in my room. I had this small... iPod Shuffle that my older brother had snuck into the house for me. And I promised him that I would be cautious so that our parents would never find it... because we couldn't have electronics.