Chapter 35

Adam's P. O. V.

She blindly ran onto the elevated deck that gave just enough of a vantage point to see where everyone was. She lifted her gun up and fired down on everyone below us, all the while coughing and sputtering up blood from her lips.

I quickly followed suit and took my stance beside her, aiming at everything that moved in my vision. Gunfire soon shot back at us and instinctively I shoved Blair back making her yell at me, Cooper was desperately hiding behind a small brick wall no higher than my knees.

"We need to get to them!!" I hollered over to Blair expecting a reply, my headshot towards her last position to find her gone. I lowered my gun to look for her, shots fired directly over my head,

"Fuck!!!!" I swore as I brought my gun up to defend myself all the while I continued to look for her.

In my peripheral vision, I saw a shadow moving along the grass, my eyes darted towards it and I saw Blair creeping towards the guys. I swore under my breath again and focused on the never-ending stream of goons. My worst fear was that they'd see her and start targeting her again, so I kept on killing each person that came from the main building.

Blair's black silhouette danced around the sea of dead bodies in my side vision, I would avert my eyes to look at her progression once in a while until my gun suddenly stopped firing and was replaced with a clicking noise. I shook my head as I realized I had spent all the ammunition, I was a sitting duck up on this perch.

I limped to the edge of the crumbling edge and jumped, I landed on my injured leg which caused me to stumble and groan in pain. I grabbed a random weapon that was strewn all over the courtyard, I scrambled to reload the piece of shit but stopped short when the firing suddenly changed direction.

My worst fear had just come true... Blair was pinned up against the wall as bullets skimmed past her. She had her arms over her head as bits of brick came falling down on her like snow. Adrenaline kicked in and everything suddenly started to work together... The gun reloaded with ease and I quickly started shooting everyone.

Blair blotted from her corned position back towards Carter and Cooper, a woman went astray to cut her off and was about to engage in a fight with Blair when I quickly twisted my body and fired at the lady. She hurdled over the dead body with ease from her years on the track team, but her leg gave out and she tumbled on the grass.

I lowered my gun and jogged a few feet to see if she was okay, I couldn't see her over the tall grass and soon bullets flew my way. Making me have to break my concentration from her and deal with the hazard that was threatening us.

***

Blair's P. O. V.

My body ached... It hurt and burned so so much. My head was spinning as was my stomach, I groaned as I rolled onto my stomach and brought my knees in underneath me so I could try to get back up.

I craned my neck to see what was around me but only found myself surrounded by yellow grass that was stained with blood. I pushed up off the ground and hugged my aching abdomen, I looked around me and saw Adam across the field physically fighting the members of Werner's posse.

"Blair!!" Cooper yelled out to me and I turned my head to see him struggling to wake Carter up. I stumbled towards them with dread growing deep inside me.

I know Carter was a dick to me... but he had his reasons and even though it's hard for me to admit... I forgave him. I couldn't live in the past forever, he didn't do that. He changed in his own... special way and we tried to regain for lost time.