Chapter 38

Adam's P.O.V.

I carefully crept down the hall with my gun held out in front of me, occasionally I would hear a grunt come from behind me but I paid no mind to it. Small trails of blood lead my way towards Blair and she couldn't be far.

I neared a turn and I heard a heavy thud come from it. I peeked around the edge of the wall to see Blair on the floor rolling and kicking her legs up at anything she could. I cocked my gun and pulled the trigger to watch everyone around her drop to the floor.

I broke out in a jog towards her as I saw her breaths become more and more laboured. She rocked onto her side, I saw sweat rolled down the sides of her face, her lips were paling and cracked, her eyes were closed but they rolled open here and there. The drug concoction that Werner gave her was working faster now than it did before even though she should've ejected all of it out from all the vomiting.

I heard her whimper as she drew her knees up to her chest,

"Shhhh... It's okay... I'm here." I whispered as I ran my fingers along her jawline. Her eyes rolled open and stayed that way for a couple of seconds before closing again,

"Adam... I'm sorry." She whispered weakly and I tugged her up onto my lap and leaned us up against a wall.

"You did nothing wrong mija." The corners of her lips twitched up to reveal her teeth. I caressed her gently as if she was going to break into a million pieces if I wasn't careful enough.

"I missed you calling me that."

"I'll call you that for forever if you want." She nodded her head weakly as I saw more energy drain from her. More gunfire rang out behind us but it was getting closer alongside with squeaking shoes. I turned around to see Cooper sliding along the floor with one arm grasping his shoulder and the other outstretched with a gun going off.

"We got her!! Now come on... pick her up and run, dumbass!!!" He screamed over the gunfire as I started to scramble to get her up. She groaned as soon as the weight was put back onto her knees, I draped her arm around my neck as I tried to relieve her of some of the pressure.

Blair and I limped as quickly as possible away from the fighting, with Cooper close behind. Bullets whizzed past us into the walls beside us, Blair would yelp here and there from the shrapnel hitting her, Cooper did his best to fight and run at the same time but still, we wouldn't be able to take them all on by ourselves. A pair of double, metal doors came into view and I started to pull Blair more harshly.

I crashed through the door with my girlfriend wrapped in my arms like a cocoon, Cooper shuffled out through the doorframe before grabbing both doors and slamming them shut. He shoved a 4 x 2 into the handles as the door started to be forced open.

"That should hold them off for a bit... Just enough time for us to get away from here." Cooper stated as he looked around as to where we were, Blair shifted in my arms and I looked down to see we holding a crinkled, yellow page.

"I... Found a map... Before they showed up." She huffed and passed it onto Cooper. He took it and studied out surrounds followed by studying the map, he muttered several times under his breath before finally getting his bearings straight.

"We need to go that way... There is some sort of fence there instead of a concrete wall. We'll be able to climb it, right?" Blair groaned into my arm before pushing off and trying to stand on her own. I reached out to touch her torso to give her a bit of a push but she smacked me away.

"I can try... But I can't promise you anything." She replied to him and I followed her up onto my feet. I watched her carefully trying to find anything that would tell me that she was truly okay or not, but I couldn't get passed how pale she was and how blood-shot her eyes were.