Chapter 29

He suddenly pinned me up against the wall with my hand behind my back. Cold metal cuffs wrapped around my cut wrists, digging into the wounds as he tightened them, he shoved me down the brightly lit corridor until we came to a set of double doors.

He shoved them open to reveal a pool deck that was only illuminated by the lights inside the 10-foot deep pool. It smelt like chlorine as I inhaled a deep breath, I was a swimmer in my years in Texas but stopped when my self-inflicting injuries started to occur more and more often.

The tile underneath my bare, bloodied feet felt so at home while the set of starting blocks, that were always set at the same height, reminded me of the adrenaline rush as races started.

He pushed me closer towards the pool but stopped about a foot away from the edge. He let go of my elbow and started pacing in front of me.

"When I was younger, I didn't have loving parents as you did." He started and I couldn't help but think...

"Oh god! he's doing this because he was jealous of my life?! Well, he fucked up."

"I had drug addicts and alcoholics for my parents! The only people in my life that cared were my siblings... Until one of them disappeared. My brother at age 13 disappeared without a trace on his birthday." He continued and for some odd reason, I felt like I've heard this before somewhere.

"My parents killed your brother and dressed him like me so they could get the fact that they had more power than my siblings could ever have!!!" Adam. This is Adam's story, my eyes widened at the realization of who was holding us captive. He was breathing heavily and that look in his eyes came back, I took a step back as he came closer towards me.

"I was hidden underneath the staircase and I listened to how my brothers and sisters cried over 'my' body..." I took another shuffle backward, this time he saw my movement and grabbed my arm. He pulled at my bound hands before pulling something out of his pocket and pressure being taken off my wrists.

"My brother ran away... Because of my parents and each time I tried to talk to my siblings they started screaming and praying to wake up from the nightmare!!! DO YOU KNOW HOW THAT FEELS?!!??" He screamed and my breathing stopped, my body froze and I couldn't make a single movement. I couldn't say a word... Except for one name.

"Werner."

He stopped dead in his tracks and turned to look at me with wide eyes. His arms shot out and gripped my shoulders with incredible strength. I let out a small groan as he pressed me together.

"How do you know my name?" He growled and tears prickled in my eyes from the spasms being sent from my stomach.

"Adam... He told me..." I whizzed

"That his brother... Was killed when... He was young..." He released my shoulders slightly letting more air into my lungs and less pain in my torso.

"Adam?" He laughed at that and then his eyes turned angry.

"YOU THINK THIS IS SOME JOKE TO YOU!?!" He grabbed my arm and yanked me around him so that his back was turned to the pool. His hand went up, under my sweater and I tried to pull his hand out of my sweater but when his hand went back to his side he was gripping the rust-colored bandages.

My stomach started to sting as the cool air hit the gashes and my jaw dropped, he smirked as he threw them down to the ground.

Suddenly he grabbed me again and threw me back towards the edge of the pool. I screamed when my body slammed into the tiled, concrete floor inches away from the water, I wrapped my arms around my ribs as they were screaming as well. He came to my side and brought his foot back and sunk it into my side. I gasped for air but my body had rolled into the water and the air I wanted... was water.

I opened my eyes, they started to sting from the chemicals in the pool, I was surprisingly relaxed which I hadn't been in years. I saw the outline of my arms as I sunk down to the bottom, the clear water was being colored by my blood, my feet touched the bottom and the rest of my body followed. My lungs burned but I didn't have the energy to resurface for air, I heard something explode above me but my eyes had already closed.

***

Me and my brother were always together after my father passed away. He filled the shoes that our father couldn't... And when he left I thought he betrayed me and abandoned me!!! But now I believe fate is a sick and twisted piece of Shit!!

It's like God is telling me that I'll never have a father figure in my life! And that my boyfriend buried my brother!!!! Thinking it was his!!!!

It's like a sick twisted joke that I don't want to be part of!!

My chest was being pushed down with extreme force, at such force that I thought my ribs would break. The pressure was pulsating like someone was trying to restart my heart and breathing.

Suddenly my eye flew out as I started viscously couching up the water I had inhaled not long ago. I gasped as my lungs were flushing out, they started to spasm as the remaining liquid was coughed up.

I was soaking wet but either way, a cold sweat broke out, I rolled over onto my side to see Werner sitting there trying to catch his breath. I groaned as I brought my knees up to my chest, I hugged myself protectively and preyed e wouldn't explode on me again.

"You're one hell of a stupid bitch." He commented and I chuckled slightly as my breathing started to become less labored.

"When I'm forced into a situation where it's life or death... I'll always choose death." I explained and I saw him give me a look.

"The easy way out."

"No. The smart way out... Because if I'm thrown into that situation it's probably because I caused it and needed to protect the ones I love." He looked at me like he was hiding a secret and I squinted at him as I surveyed him.

"Too bad you've already failed that life rule." He muttered and I propped myself on my elbow to investigate him better.

"What the hell does that mean?" I snapped and his lips twitched upwards into a smile.

"You probably believe that someone will notice that you are missing..." Yes, I did believe that would happen.

"But sadly no one won't." He popped the "t" sound to make a point and I looked at him confused.

"My mother will notice!!! And if not her then my Aunt Heather will!!!"

"Not if they are dead." My jaw snapped shut as he said that and anger sparked in me from his threat.

"You wouldn't..."

"I already did."

***

Adam stared at the darkness with shock as I told him what happened to me. We were resting our backs against the cold brick walls of where ever the hell we were... We didn't lean against each other or try to hold hands... We just sat there zoning out.

"Werner is alive... Xavier is dead... I buried him and my brother took his place and Your mother and Aunt might be dead." He whispered and I wrapped my arms around my knees as a shudder ran through me.

"And somehow we were able to meet... I'm sorry but this seems like SO MUCH FUCKING BULLSHIT TO ME!!!" He snapped and shot up off the ground, I got scared and tried to protect myself. He started pacing around the room while biting his cheek, I wanted to say something but you can't really tell someone to relax when you just find out your brother is dead/alive or that your girlfriends family is on the brink of annihilation or that said girlfriends brother took the place of your dead brother.

That shit just doesn't happen to normal people.

But we aren't normal people.. And we are used to being thrown curve balls. But this... Was just thrown into outer space and I'm terrified of what might happen.

Adam suddenly stopped and turned to me with his teeth chewing on his nail.

"We have to get out... And fast."