Chapter 34

Adam's P.O.V.

The man dropped on top of me, crushing the air out of my lungs. I grunted as forced him off of me and with a heavy thud he was flung to my side. I gasped for breath but was stopped by her scream. My head shot towards her direction... Blair was against the wall, immobilized by the impact with her eyes barely open.

My mind went into overdrive when I saw one of the goons coming towards her, I scrambled to my feet in desperation to save her. Her hair covered her beaten, bloodied face but I still could see the slits of her hazel eyes that contrasted to the dark purple bags underneath them. Blair looked tired... And exhausted from fighting all of this. It looked like she was giving up into the pain... I couldn't let her.

Someone threw themselves at my legs but I was having none of it. I kicked them in the face creating a satisfying crack under my heel. I took another step forward just to fall forwards in pain. I groaned as I craned my neck to see what was going on... A knife stuck out of my calf. Dark blood oozed out of it but I didn't have time to take care of it, I reached down and pulled it out.

I grabbed the man by his neck and plunged his weapon into his eye. He opened his mouth to scream but I pushed the knife through the other side of his head.

I turned back towards Blair, she was still weak but the man had started to kick her in the stomach. I awkwardly started to run as he grabbed Blair by the neck and pinned her up against the glass windows that lead to the aquatics office. Her nails tried to pry his hands off of her but she had lost too much blood. I sprinted towards her, even though my leg screamed at me to stop... But I had to attempt to save her...

I was about 10 feet away from her when I saw that the fight was leaving her eyes from the lack of oxygen. I jumped and wrapped my arms around the man in a tackle, he dropped her instantly. She gasped for air and started to cough with an insane force which soon turned into her vomiting, I got up off the man but he followed my movements.

He came towards me but I sunk my knee into his stomach while holding him in place by gripping his shoulders. He hunched forward but I didn't stop, I shoved my fist into his stomach making his knees buckle and collapse under him.

"That's for even thinking about laying a hand on my fucking girl!!" I yelled before kicking him repeatedly in the stomach which made him cough before succumbing into unconsciousness.

"And that's for trying to kill her," I growled,

"Adam..?" I heard Blair call out with a raspy voice, I spun around and saw her slowly sliding up the wall with her arm cradled in the other. She squeezed her eyes trying not to show that she was in immense pain, I let out a sigh of relief as I closed the distance between us. I carefully took her arm to examine it, a huge oval bruise was forming on the surface of her muscles which told me that it was just beaten up badly and not broken.

I pulled her in closer to me and wrapped my arms tightly around her waist with her arms pinned in between us. It gave me an excuse to hug her tighter than usual and by her reaction, it told me she was okay with it. She nuzzled the side of her face into my shirt while trying to get closer to me. Blair soon wiggled her arms out from between us and around my stomach to hug me back, I nuzzled my face into her hair as she did to me.

"I--I didn't get the chance... T...to say I love you back." I chuckled at her as I looked down to see her trying to smile. I watched painfully as her glowing face slowly contort into agony. My smirk fell as she squeezed her eyes closed and contracted her core with anticipation of the next wave of blood, she released her hold on me to hold her torso.

I cradled her to the side of me, with her head resting on one arm while I used the other one to brush the loose strands of hair away from her delicate face.

She's been like this for weeks... drained, sick, bruised and bleeding. I hadn't seen her like this since a car accident that occurred a year ago. She was drunk, and from what it seems to me now, is that it was the day her sister and father died. Blair was trying to get home from a bar when she drifted out of her lane at high speeds, a truck started to blare its horn at her which caused her to swerve back into the correct side of the road. Just... Her car ended up skidding and flipping over.

She didn't drive for months after that and even refused to go anywhere that didn't give her the freedom of walking to the destination. That was the last time I had seen her so beaten and emotionally traumatized. The last time I saw her in her normal state was her fight... That was months ago now.

And come to think of it... It was stupid of me to let her live in this kind of life. She didn't deserve this life of danger and pain... she's too different for it. You'd expect me to say that she was too weak for it or she was too fragile... but no. That wasn't Blair. She was too strong and tough for it... she didn't let anyone know what she was thinking until she exploded.

In some ways it was bad... but for us being together... it was good. That's how I knew if I overstepped my boundaries... Or if I was out of line to her... Or if I stepped on one her emotional landmines.

She suddenly stiffened under my arms with what seemed to be a sudden realization. Blair pushed me away softly and I took it as I sign to lean her back so she could stand, she looked up at me with fear in her wild eyes. Her head swung around to look behind her, my eyes followed to the exit door that was wide open... But was smeared with blood.

"We have to find them." She blurted out and I released the breath that I was holding in unintentionally

Gunshots fired causing me to hold a breath again as I ran towards the door. Blair yelled after me but I was too far into my headspace to hear what she was saying. I looked out onto the overgrown boulevard to Cooper desperately dragging Carter away from the gun violence.

The sound of a gun cocking beside me caused me to snap out of it. A bullet flew out and bounced off of the tiles, creating an empty clinking noise. Blair had pulled out the magazine to count the bullets in the OTs-02 Kiparis submachine gun that she had probably stolen off of a body. Her lips moved as she counted the bullets by 2's before nodding her head and putting it back together.

It cocked again but this time I knew it was deadlier than before, she tossed me the exact same gun that she was holding,

"It has more rounds than this one." She explained

"You need it more than me... Since I might end up falling over soon." I laughed at her such relaxed yet tense nature in this situation. Blair shoved past me, knocking my shoulder that was our sign for "good luck".

She leaned against the wall beside the door and peaches around it to see what was going on. Without a notice or game plan... She snuck her way out the door and started running towards the boys without hearing me yell,

"BLAIR!!! NO!!!!"