Chapter 36

Adam sprinted to the best of his abilities with me in his arms, I tried my best not to scream in agony with each jolt sent through my body. My mind started to blur into one singular thought...

"I'm next... I'm next... I'm next..."

I couldn't take this pain in my stomach and the drained feeling in each of my aching joints... It was in each crevice of my body and there was no helping me. Adam slowed down as we reached the edge of the building's wall and he put me down on my side. My mind drifted to when Werner managed to give me the medicine... I hadn't eaten since I got here so that wasn't the answer. I do know that I was unconscious for a grand total of 5 days while in that room... he could've done it then.

I groaned as a brutal headache hit me from thinking too much, I clamped my hands over my mouth as I tried to contain a sob. I didn't know what to do... I know I was being a burden to the boys and that eventually they would get killed along with me.

I rolled over onto my other side and watched as Adam drew strategies in the dirt with a stick and Cooper crouched to look at it better, occasionally looking up to see if it matched the scenery. The conversed viciously with each other, not in anger but in agreement, Adam turned to check up on me. We made eye contact and he gave me a reassuring smile that made me want to scream at. I knew we weren't going to make it together! But all I did was return the smile.

Without a warning I threw up, this time it felt like my insides were burning and about to turn to ashes. I unintentionally screamed out from the acid caught in the middle of my throat, I squeezed my eyes shut as I vomited more. A cold sweat broke out as I heard Adam run over to me, I swatted him away but it probably made me look pathetic and incredibly stupid.

"Cooper, pass me your sweater," Adam commanded and Cooper pulled his hoodie over his head with ease, Adam took it and folded it into a pillow before pulling my head up to place it under me. I started to hyperventilate as I tried to contain my pain, but This wasn't going to end well.

Adam pulled away and disappeared around the corner without a word. I clawed at the ground he just walked on in desperation which was only met with another contraction. Cooper ran his fingers through my hair as my insides came out, the scratching noise created was unbearable for me.

I grabbed his hand and intertwined my fingers, he gave me a skeptical look before relaxing his hand and letting his fingers rest overtop of my knuckles. His palm was soft and malleable under my cracked and callous hand, his skin was completely different compared to Adam's.

Adam had soft hands but his fingers were rough with callouses created by hours of gun practice. The roughness faded into smooth and cared for skin that was only because of all the times I needed him to rub in my moisturizing cream. It was a gradient I was very familiar with but Coopers were like women's hands which almost made me laugh.

"Why?" He asked suddenly, I looked up at him but averted my gaze from his.

"Why what?"

"Why do you push yourself to a point that you can die?" He rephrased, I rolled onto my back with a groan. I watched as the clouds coated over the moon and stars above us, I took a breath in.

"I made a promise to my sister and father that I would fight to the bitter end for them..." I started

"That I wouldn't give up until I was forced to... Until every bone in my body was broken... I wasn't going to stop. And now that my mother and aunt are gone... I have to! I have to or else they died for nothing... Same as Carter." I mumbled his name at the end... Not in embarrassment but in sadness. Cooper watched me carefully as he processed everything in his mind before continuing the conversation,