1. Life after the attack😓

Books, hundreds of old, dusty books littered the floor and furniture. Sitting in between of all the books, was a boy and girl. They both wore old fashioned clothes that looked to be from at least a hundred years ago. They sat on the floor going through the books; one by one; page by page. It was obvious that they were looking for something.

A piercing pain shot up my side and I jumped awake. There stood the store owner, glaring down at me. He sent another Kick to my stomach, and then another and another, he was only satisfied when he heard a sickening crack. I cried out in pain. He stopped and looked at my sobbing figure curled up in a ball. It was as if he was admiring his handiwork.
"Luke! Get in here and fix it! There are buyers coming today." He said and walked out of my cell.

The reason he said 'it' was because they didn't think of us as people, they thought of us as animals, cattle. Four years ago there was an attack. Vampires attacked the humans. Of course we tried to fight back, but in the end they won. The ones that weren't killed were forced to become like me, a pet for their amusement, or to clean for them, some of them to even become a sex slave or to be a walking blood bag. All in all the rest of humanity was screwed.

The cell door opened and in walked a man who I assumed to be Luke, but I wasn't paying attention to his face, I was too busy looking at his muscles, he could do some real damage, I hope he's here to help. He crouched down so he was at the same level as me and give me a warm smile.
" I'm Luke and I'm here to help with your injuries." Whew, thank God. I really don't know how much more beatings I could have taken for one day.
" You're not a vampire are you?" He gave a soft laugh.
" No, of course not. How many vampires would go around helping humans?" Fair enough. "what's your name?"
" Arabelle."
" it's nice to meet you, Arabelle." I smiled at him. " now, tell me what hurts."
I pointed to my ribs and he bandaged it along with my other minor cuts and bruises. Thank God it wasn't broken. While he was putting away his medical supplies, something caught my eye.
" What's that?" I pointed to a tattoo of a barcode on his left arm.
" Oh, this? The Army made made each of us get it."
" You were in the Army? For how long?"
" I joined the army when I was a teenager and stayed up until the attack." He answered.
" Time to go." The evil shopkeeper spat and pulled me up by my hair, dragging me with him.
"Luke?" Tears welled up in my eyes.
"Don't be scared, Arabelle. It's going to be okay. " he said trying to calm me down.

The shop, as the vampires like to call it actually used to be a prison. Since the walls are thick it keeps out sunlight, that's why it's perfect for vampires to come and select their pets. Most of the other girls were already sold, that's why I was in a Cell by myself.

He took me past the door and into a room that had six other girls. They each had a woman to help them clean up and fix their hair and makeup. The shopkeeper roughly pushed me inside of the room. The thing about us pets, is that when the shopkeeper beats one of us he never touches the face, no one wants an ugly pet. If you got brought back for whatever reason then you will be killed.

The Lady that was assigned to me was rough and not friendly at all. After lot of painful scrubbing and excruciatingly long periods of staying still so that the rough lady could apply my makeup, I was finally ready.

All of us girls were put into one line, we were supposed to stare straight ahead and most importantly, Do. Not. Speak. The door opened and the shopkeeper walked in along with Luke. I'm not sure what he does, maybe he's just here in case someone got injured. That's unsettling. His eyes landed on mine and he gave me a reassuring smile, I couldn't help but give a smile in return.

A man walked in holding a Girl by her hair. The girl looked weak, half-starved, she could barely keep her weight up. Tears were streaming down her face. The man on the other hand was the complete opposite. His dark hair was long and tied into a ponytail. He was tall but he didn't have a lot of muscles, it didn't matter anyway because he had his vampire strength to back him up.
" You should train your pets better." He sneered, right before biting into her neck. She screamed and struggled to get out of his grip, but he only bit further into her. Her face when pale and her body went limp. Her dead body dropped to the floor, causing me to let out a gasp. It was low, but because of heightened hearing, he heard.

He walked up to me, inspecting me. " Where have you been hiding this pretty one?" He asked the shopkeeper, as he caressed my cheek with his pale, cold fingers. I had to do my best not to flinch when his cold fingers touch my skin. " I'll take her." He said. I could swear that my heart stopped beating.
" With all due respect," Luke interrupted, " there are far more prettier girls here, she is only sixteen. "
" Young, just how I like them."
" but Sir..."
" Luke. " the shopkeeper warned. " Don't push it. The only reason you're out here instead of in a cell is because you're good at your job. But make no mistake I can have you replaced in an instant."

The shopkeeper put a collar around my neck with the chain attached to it and handed it to the man. The man tugged the chain for me to follow him, just before I left the shop I turned around and locked eyes with Luke. His eyes held sympathy and he mouted ' I'm sorry'. I gave a small small to let him know that I didn't blame him and then turned around and walked out of the door where a human was waiting for him with a black umbrella.

While driving to his house he said nothing to me, seriously, the silence was killing me. My heart was beating erratically and I was shaking. I had no idea what was waiting for me.

He could do anything he wanted to me and no one would care. I would probably die soon. I thought back to the young girl that was killed in front of me. Tears welled up in my eyes as the car stopped and the door opened. I took a deep breath and stepped out into the unknown.