Chapter 8

~Chinami POV~

It's been quite a while since I've been trying to become friends with Gaara again. After the last part of the Chunin exams were interrupted by Orochimaru's attack followed by Gaara's release of Shukaku. It took for Naruto to beat the crap out of Gaara in order to get him to come to his senses.

-Flashback-

Watching the fight between Naruto and Gaara I seen they both exhausted out there Chakra's unable to continue the fight. I went over to Gaara kneeling right above him placing his head in my lap.

I began to clean the blood off his forehead where Naruto head-butted him. He looked up at me staring directly at me as if realization hit him. If anyone had the power to change someone it would be Naruto. I don't know how, but he just had that sparked that sparked at the right times.

"I haven't given up on you Gaara or our friendship, but you should rest now" I said rubbing my finger over the tattoo on his forehead that read love. I then began to tell him the conversation I had with his father and how he wanted me to stay away from him for both of our safety, but I rejected him even though it may cost me my life.

I also told him about the man I killed against my will making sure I left nothing out, even how I felt after that situation. I was scared to think about it, to talk about it, to come back to the village hidden in the Sand all because of that situation.

I'm glad I grew enough courage to even talk about it.

"Chinami" He whispered as Temari came back with Kankuro, who helped his brother to his feet as they left off into the woods.

-Flashback Ends-

It was Gaara's last day in the village before they all left for the Sand village.  We thought it would be nice to do something for them before so. Well, no one told me what they were planning, they just told me to look nice.

After I showered I put on a white dress tied with a red ribbon.

"Why do girls take so long to get ready Kakashi sensei?" I can hear Naruto say from the living room. I just chuckled spraying a bit of perfume heading out into the living room.

He continued to blabber about how long I was taking until he saw me and gasped at my appearance. Kakashi looked at me wide-eyed too.

"So what's the special event? Or is it a date that I was unaware of?" Kakashi mentioned the word date which made me blush a bit as I thought about having a date with Gaara. I'm one hundred percent sure he didn't have any other feelings for me other than being friends.

"N-no date... we're just planning something for Gaara and his siblings before they go back to the Sand Village that's all" I mentioned waving my hands around. I felt more blood rush to my cheeks.

"Oooooo someone has a crush" Naruto teased smiling like an idiot.

"Shut up I do not have a crush on Gaara" I snapped at him.

"Ok ok geez don't have to get so worked up about it" He said leading the way out of the house.

"Can you tell me where we're going Naruto?" I asked it seems we've been walking away from the village.

" Calm down we're almost there, don't worry you're going to see your boyfriend" He teased.

"He's not my boyfriend " we argued the rest of the way to the destination.

It was a huge lake surrounded by bright green grass. It was so beautiful almost as if it were just discovered, untouched by anyone.

"Hey, Chinami! Naruto! Over here!" Sakura called out to us.

Everyone was here including Temari, Kankuro, and Gaara.

"You guys I'm glad you came" I said excitedly running over to them.

There was a huge blanket laid out on the ground. Various types of foods laid out as well. My eyes widened at everything.

"We appreciate everything you guys are doing for us" Temari said with a smile as I grabbed her hands in mine.

"What are friends for" I said returning the smile.

"Well let's eat" Naruto said sitting down. Everyone else rushed to sit down leaving me to sit next to Gaara.

"I hear there's some sort of festival later tonight" Temari mentioned biting a sandwich.

"Yeah there's supposed to be fun and games of that sort and lots more I don't know all the details but it sounds fun" says Ino.

"Well you look nice today Chinami" Temari changes the subject nudging Gaara in his side a bit.

"Uh yes you look beautiful today" Gaara complimented looking down. He wasn't used to any of this so he must be uncomfortable right now.

"Thank you both" I smiled widely before Naruto interrupted.

"Hey, guys check this out" Naruto grabbed our attention doing one of his weird tricks again causing a loud boom and a wave of water to come right at us. Everyone either jumped into the tree or found some type of shelter from the wave. 

"Look out" Before I knew it Gaara tackled me down staring right into my eyes. His defense came up quickly enclosing us in the sand to shield us from the water. The defense crumbled away after being hit by the water. 

My face was bright red by now, Gaara's face was only inches away from mine. My heart picked up speed and it felt like it was about to jump right out of my chest. I've never had this feeling before, but maybe this is what they call love. 

Maybe I should kiss him. I'm feeling confident enough to, but what if he doesn't share the same feelings then I'd look like a total idiot in front of everyone.

He pulled me out of my thoughts placing his cold hand on my head.

"Feels like you have a fever" I blushed more panicking. 

"No, no fever at all, I'm fine. Maybe I'm feeling a little under the weather" I said a bit quick, but not too quick. "It's getting late maybe we should head to the festival" I said rushing to lead the way. 

"If you insist" He said following. 

We headed back to the village by nightfall as the festival had already started. I didn't know I was ahead of the group, but I wasn't far ahead. 

"You know you seem a bit down about something so maybe this might cheer you up" I looked up to see Gaara holding out half of a bun for me to take. "Here I know this will cheer you up" 

I smiled taking half of the bun.

"Thank you so much, Gaara it means a lot" 

"What are friends for right" He still wouldn't smile, but its an improvement. Sadly, on the other hand, I just got friend zoned. 

Fireworks went off in the sky not long after, but everyone around us was already with someone they loved. I stared up at Gaara who's mind was fixated on the fireworks.

I think I'm in love with Gaara.