Chapter 16

~Chinam's POV

I woke up early to get a head start on packing finishing earlier than expected. I'm pretty sure Gaara already headed to his office and for some reason, I thought it would be good if I saw him before I left. I had no reason to see him, but I wanted to. At least something in me wanted to so bad.

As I make my way up to where Gaara is usually working I hear whispers from those around me. It was about Gaara and I did what any other person would do I stopped to ask questions about what was going on this morning.

Who wouldn't be this curious?

"Excuse me...would you mind telling me what has everyone so excited this morning?" I asked the male guard that was closest to me.

"Didn't you hear? Our Lord Kazekage is getting married...Isn't that great?" He said with so much excitement before walking off.

"Just great" I whispered to myself knowing that I should be happy for Gaara, but my heart literally just dropped to the pit of my stomach. It feels like it just went on a whole entire roller coaster.

Silently, I walked to the double doors of Gaara's office blocking out what anyone else said about the news. I came to a complete stop before knocking not knowing if he heard or not.

"Come in" His deep voice snapped me right out of my thoughts making me realize the reality that I was in.

Why did I ever think Gaara could love me?

The love that I thought I could have had versus the love I realize was nothing more than a reality. The love that was the reality was nothing more than a long-time friendship.

I took a deep breath clearing my head putting on a happy face for his sake and mind. The mission comes first and nothing else should be worried about.

I entered through the door smiling brightly as I walked through the door greeting him politely. Pretty sure making it obvious because this isn't how I normally act, but I didn't want to cry from being smacked in the face.

"I'm already packed and ready for the mission sir" I said still smiling, not once removing it upon my face. He looked up from his papers at me and stared weirdly at me as if something were on my face that shouldn't be.

I mean there is, I'm smiling like an idiot, but I have to keep myself from doing or saying something stupid no matter how I feel.

"Chinami, are you alright?" He asked standing up from his seat.

"Oh everything's peachy, I heard the news. I'm so happy that you're finding someone to marry" By now my cheeks were kind of hurting as gave a warm smile before slowly letting it disappear off my face, but just enough so he couldn't tell that I actually felt the opposite about it.

"About that the Elders thought it was best for me and the village if I got married and had children" He said smiling slightly. I couldn't really read him right now. I couldn't tell if he wanted this or not, but I guess I 'll just play along and keep the vibes positive. He probably has enough to stress about it and the last thing we'd want is a girl pouring out her heart like an idiot she would be to a guy that doesn't feel the same way.

It was dead silent for a few more minutes after he went into small details about what was happening. His words punched me in the heart as if it were a punching bag. I never knew having a crush on someone would be such a big deal in a situation like this.

"Chinami I-" He was cut off by the doors opening and a loud yell.

"WHO'S THE LUCKY GIRL, LORD KAZEKAGE" Aki came in overly excited about the arranged marriage. Gaara looked at me then back at Aki before answering her question.

"I'll be meeting quite a few ladies before selecting one of my choice" He said scratching the back of his head.

"Anyone can sign up?" She questioned yet again as he gave her a nod to her question. This led me to think that I still had a chance, but before he could continue what he was about to say to earlier she dragged out by Aki to begin our mission.

She might have just saved my life there. Temari came up to me while Aki was buying food for our trip.

"Chinami... I know you heard by now and I'm sorry...I'm sure I can work something out" Temari didn't have to ask questions because she already knew what was up. That's what I liked about her. I didn't have to do much to explain myself, but I didn't want to pursue something I couldn't have. "Maybe you could sign up for it"

"Temari it's fine... I don't have a chance" I tried to give her a reassuring smile resting my hand gently on her shoulder. She smacked me in my head causing me to quickly place my hands where she hit me.

"I expect more from you out of all women here Chinami. I don't accept quitter talk... I'd rather it be you he marry instead of someone I might not get along with" She looked at me and gave me a smile. "If only you knew what I knew" She said before pushing me off towards the exit.

"I will have an outfit picked out for you when you get back from your mission" She whispered in my ear before scurrying off.

Oh dear, leave it to Temari to knock some confidence back into my head. I wondered what she met by 'If only I knew what she knew'

Maybe I do have a chance with Gaara. I mean none of the girls know him like I do beside we've already had years of a relationship built together as friends. Maybe I was too hard on myself.

~Gaara's POV

I sat with the council damn near pulling out my hair. Why is it so hard for me to just tell her how I felt. So much chattering they were doing going back and forth about the opinions of me getting married to have a successor after me.

Slamming my fist firmly against the table to get their attention. All I could think of in the moment was the many chances that I missed to tell Chinami how I felt about her. Every time I want to tell her it's always ruined by something.

"what if I already have someone in mind?" Kankuro looked over at me as did everyone else in the room. " C-chinami" I said hesitantly. The elders looked a me disapproving and for some reason I knew they would.

"That's the girl that your father sent away from here because she killed a man...She is just as dangerous as Shukaku and unfit to be the bride of the Kazekage" I snapped my head to the elderly female.

"She isn't as dangerous as you say... you shouldn't speak as if you know her so well, however, I am your Kazekage this is my life and I choose her to marry... if not her then I choose no one to marry" I said calmly, but in an aggravated tone. This was probably in a way disrespectful to the elders given the way that Kankuro looked at me wide eyes, but I wasn't lying.

I don't want to spend my life with anyone, but her and that's what I'm going to do. Even if it takes me longer than I expect to even tell her how I feel.