The injured hawk

Kaito was surprised as one of his beloved doves seemed in a hurry to show him something. As soon as he opened his housedoor a hawk laid in front of it, collapsed and barely concious. The small ring at its leg said it all, Kaito immediately recognized this animal as Hakuba's pet Watson.
Sighing softly the magician lifted the bird up and carried it into his kitchen.
"Poor little fella, don't worry, I will nurse you back to health..."

While he treated its wounds Kaito began to wonder where the hawk could have received these many injuries. As he knew Hakuba, his pet hawk was as holy to him as Kaito's doves were to him. Maybe something happened to Hakuba and he sent out his hawk for help? But that didn't make sense, he wouldn't send his pet to the Kuroba household.
For now Kaito had no other option than to watch how things would go for the following time.

Weirdly the next day, Hakuba was nowhere in sight. Aoko, curious as she was, asked the teacher where her classmate might be and all she received was the sentence "His pet went missing."
Kaito raised his head as he heard this and smiled satisfied. It was good to hear Hakuba cared about someone else besides himself; and Watson was still too injured to hand him over just like that.
After school Kaito fed the exhausted hawk and softly sighed, muttering "Your master is an asshole, you know that?" at the hawk, earning a protesting shriek of the bird. He did that quite often, talking with animals always was an important aspect of Kaito's life, he did the same with his doves, too. It wasn't long until he decided the hawk would be fit enough to at least make the way back home and pulled out his phone, dialing the number of Hakuba after looking it up.

"Kuroba-kun...?"
His voice sounded tired and drowned in worry. Obviously he had been up the whole past night to find his pet.
"Yeah. I've got something which belongs to you. Now, when are you going to fetch your hawk from me?"
"...what?!"
Immediately Kaito heard loud commotion at the other end, obviously Hakuba left this very second his residence to pay Kaito a visit. Facepalming to himself, he hung up. But on the other hand, he probably would have reacted the same if it would have been his doves.

Around fifteen minutes later the doorbell rung and a panting Hakuba stood in the entrance, trying to get a glimpse of the floor behind Kaito.
"W-where is he?! Where's Watson?!"
"Living room. He's injured but gets better faster than I expected."
Hakuba stormed past him into his living room, only to find his hawk sitting calmly on the shelf. The bird let out a loud shriek as it recognized the face of its master and with powerful beats of his wings the bird landed on his arm, making Hakuba laugh in pure relief.
"Watson! You are alright...!"

"What actually happened to him? He was barely concious when I found him collapsed at my door."
Hakuba exhaled softly, all the stress washing off of him as be faced Kaito.
"Watson was investigating a drug deal... With a camera, taking evidence material. I suppose he got caught."
"Pay a bit more attention on your pets got it?"
"Definitely!"
Hakuba threw himself at Kaito to catch him inside a tight hug, resulting the baffled boy to squeak.
"Oh thank you so much Kuroba-kun!!"

Later on, Kaito couldn't help than to think out loud.
"God that was awkward to see Hakubastard all cheerful..."