Guardian 2

Shinichi couldn't let go of this thought anymore. Kaitou KID, an angel, his guardian. He paid attention to him, the child had said. But why? Why could a child see him and he couldn't?
He wanted to dismiss the thought. The idea of supernatural existences were hilarious in a world of facts and science. The battle of logic and emotion kept raging inside his brain, forcing his sleep away and his concentration during homicide cases lacked.

Deep in thought he entered a shop and picked a few random groceries out. Nothing special, mostly noodles and of course, coffee. A bit of rice, too. His mind kept wandering back to Kaito.
"Where are you, KID... why are you gone?" he murmured into his coat.
A sudden voice ripped him out of his thoughts and he gasped, his hand already searching for his revolver. Megure-keibu had allowed him to keep a revolver when on duty and to return it once he took a break. But that kinda was the problem because a Kudo Shinichi doesn't take breaks.
"Hand over the money!" the voice bellowed at the cashier who immediately fiddled with his keys to open the register. Shinichi slowly inched closer from behind, the text message to inform Megure-keibu already sent, and aimed.
"Hands up!" he hissed, the man spun around and gritted his teeth. Silence.
"Hands up I said!" Shinichi repeated, his voice cold as ice.

A sudden gunshot rang in his ears and he merely recognized the cashier dropping onto the ground while the man, glad about his selfcreated distraction, made a dash for his life. Shinichi didn't bother to chase him, he instead hurried behind the desk and opened the jacket of the male.
"S-save me... P-please... I-I have a wife at home..." he whispered, his hands tightly gripping onto Shinichi's arm. No, he couldn't and wouldn't let this happen. He would save this person. Shinichi didn't want to see this man dying.
"Hurry! Fetch something to stop the blood!" he ordered over his shoulder and a woman handed him the wished things.
"Don't worry sir, we'll save you. The ambulance and police should be here soon," he tried to reassure the man.

All of a sudden his eyes grew wide and he let out a muffled yelp, tears dwelling in his eyes.
"N-no! Stay away! I'm not ready yet!" he hissed at Shinichi and the detective gasped in surprise.
"But sir, I-"
"No! S-stay away angel! I'm not going to die yet!"
Shinichi wanted to argue but realized he wasn't even the focus of his rant. Slowly, he looked behind himself but nobody was there. A horrible feeling crawled into his stomach and he shook his head to keep calm. No. No this man didn't see an angel next to Shinichi. It was impossible.
"...s-so I'm not going to die yet? Y-you... you're just guarding him...? You're not about to take me?" the man whispered, visibly calmed but still hesitant. The answer relaxed him even further, even if Shinichi couldn't hear it.
"Who are you talking to, sir? There is nobody," he carefully began and observed the person's reaction. A tired smile spread across the wounded one's lips and Shinichi knew, he fought hard to stay awake.
"I... I have to be close to death... else I wouldn't see a man with wings next to you... Kai... Kaitou KID..."
"Don't worry sir, we'll save you," Shinichi spoke firmly, more to convince himself than the person in front of him. He just hallucinated. There wasn't Kaitou KID. Kaitou KID was dead. But perhaps that was the point?

He watched the ambulance driving the man to hospital in attempt to save his life. Shinichi still had to fill in a report and thus, changed his direction to the police station. His groceries, of course, were long forgotten.
Halfheartedly concentrating on the report, he fought himself to not burst into tears. Why did everybody around him see KID? He needed to write this down, after the report. Who could see this hallucination? It didn't make sense at all. If it was a mere hallucination, why did everybody have the same one? And he couldn't pinpoint it onto a trauma, that wouldn't explain why they all saw the same.
"Now who can see him... Little children... Dying people... Animals."
He remembered cats and dogs paying attention to something close to Shinichi but not Shinichi himself. This all was just wishthinking... But he knew how to prove his theory.
This case of mental illness was one of the things only the Detective Boys could solve for him. If they could see KID... then he had his proof.
But how could he coax the Detective Boys into cooperation without them claiming him as insane?

Later that day, Shinichi sat with a cup of coffee in Agasa-hakase's house. Haibara to his left, first of all checking his brain for any kind of anomalities.
"...and you're telling me, people all around you can see an... Angel... next to you?"
Shinichi nodded, trying his best not to move too much or the scan wouldn't be exact.
"Yes... So far I've added children, animals and dying people. Just today a man yelled at something close to me that he wasn't ready to die and that 'it' should stay away from him."
"And you came here to test your hypothesis. With the Detective Boys."
Shinichi nodded again, a sigh passing his lips.
"Yeah. I doubt you can see him since I as Conan couldn't see ghosts either... Little children don't recognize ghosts as ghosts, their minds aren't able to difference. Perhaps it's the mental age, too?"
Haibara tilted her head, falling into deep thoughts. This all sounded way too crazy to be true. But on the other hand, a poison able to shrink people into elementary school age existed too.

The Detective Boys stormed into the house with so much joy Shinichi almost felt envious. Not that he adored his time as Conan too much, but he already missed the little advantages as a child.
"Shinichi-san!" Ayumi exclaimed and in the next second, he had the children squished next to him on the couch. That about personal space.
"What brings you here, Shinichi-niisan?"
"A case?!"
Shinichi breathed out a sigh and nodded, his lips curling up into a polite smile.
"Somewhat... An experiment. Would you like to participate?"
Exited nods were enough as an answer and Shinichi began to chew on his bottom lip, trying to formulate the question without sounding mentally hilarious. Haibara saw his distress and rolled her eyes.
"All you have to do is counting the people inside this very room and describe them."

Genta took a short look around and nodded to himself.
"T-there is us... Three."
"And Shinichi-niisan and Ai-chan, makes five," added Ayumi and finally, Mitsuhiko took his turn.
"Agasa-hakase... And a boy I don't know, makes seven."
Genta froze and turned towards Mitsuhiko, then stared into the direction he was looking at.
"Right! All hidden! Oi, why are you hiding there?"
Shinichi and Haibara both spun around but, oh surprise, nothing was there. Shinichi took a deep shaking breath, trying to keep his cool.
"A-alright. And... h-how does he look? What age? My age, perhaps? Brown messy hair?"
Ayumi examined the thin air and nodded, her expression turning serious.
"Yes, that's true! But why are you asking, Shinichi-niisan? Can't you see him?"
"O-of course I can!" he gasped, embarassment visible on his cheeks. He exchanged a worried glance with Haibara and finally leaned back, slow and gentle tears running down his face which he tried to hide by taking a sip of his coffee. No. He didn't want to cry. Not in front of the children. There was a man who followed him day and night, protected him and he of all people was unable to see him. And this man was Kaitou KID.
"S-Shinichi-san...!" Mitsuhiko breathed out in shock, hugging the trembling student in the next second. "What's wrong...? D-don't cry please!"
But Shinichi only shook his head, the waterfall of tears growing larger.

Haibara watched this scene with a pokerface and turned towards the spot she thought KID would, whispering "Do something idiot, Kudo will end up in mental hospital if that continues...! He loved you KID, and he still does...!"
Nothing happened. Did her words go past him?