The Secret Caretaker

Edogawa Conan had collapsed on a heist. Well, not exactly in the middle of a heist, but afterwards once he was on his way home. All alone inside a cold winter night, fate decided for a certain someone to find him.
As Kuroba Kaito crossed paths with the small feverish chibi, he froze immediately and picked up the child, pulling off his white glove with his teeth, feeling for his temperature.
"Fever..."

Ran was away with Sonoko, enjoying a wonderful weekend trip to one of the many many residences the Suzuki family owned, and had left the chibi at Mouri's detective agency. Kaito shook his head, no, he couldn't bring him to that man. He needed to take care of him alone... But not inside his house. Another hideout. His own house, Kudo's house, that would be great. That way he could also gain a fair impression of the way he used to live.
Plan made.

KID, how should it be different, picked the lock with ease and stepped inside, immediately heading for Kudo's old room. He had a small map of the building in front of his inner eyes, beforehand taken note of and filed inside the deepest parts of his mind. Sighing he tucked Conan into the ridiculously big bed and made sure he was warm enough. A bit of fresh air perhaps? Kaito hesitated before gently pushing the window upwards, enough to leave a small slit where air could slip inside the room.
He took off his coat, it was only in his way and would hinder his movements to keep Conan under his careful eyes. Kaito felt his eyes dart over towards the small boy and instantly knew they lasted longer than appropriate. Edogawa Conan wasn't just a critic. He was his best critic, always full of surprise and challenge, the one to force Kaito's best out of him during any kind of heist involving the little one.

"Towels. He needs towels," Kaito murmured to himself, his sharp gaze recognizing the front hair slightly wet due to his sweat. Not long after he had spoken, he undressed Conan to his underwear and rested a cool towel upon his forehead, using the next one to wipe his body from the grimy sweat.
He repeated this action the whole night every hour, punctual like a clockwork, and whenever he had returned at his side, Conan was full of sweat once again. A sad smile shortly flashed across the magician's face as he rested a moment next to his patient, calmly sitting on the bed.
"You sure are troublesome, Meitantei... Get better fast, heard it?"
No response, he didn't await one either.

Conan needed some medicaments against this terrible condition, yet he knew too well Kudo didn't possess any mediactions inside his house. Should he dress up as Mouri Ran and get some from her father? No, too suspicious, she was on a trip with Sonoko after all. Hah... If he wanted his Tantei to recover, he needed to buy them himself.
Kaito stayed the entire night and next day, only shortly gone to make food for himself and soup for Conan, and of course the visit to the pharmacy. Conan woke up a few times, dizzy through the medication he seemed unable to produce a fitting picture inside his head. What his eyes told him, what he heard... everything felt so unreal; and short after waking up he would already fall asleep again, thoroughly exhausted.
Kaito would feed him soup twice a day, it was a good mixture his mother had taught him once his Oyaji had been sick. That he still remembered this made KID feel proud...

Three days later Conan found himself recovering from his current condition of mind, alone inside his house. Kaito had noticed fast enough and retreated before any soccer balls could be aimed at him, not even speaking about that hell of a watch.
Tired, his head pounding, Conan still knew something was wrong. His room... his room wasn't like it had been. Something was different.
Okay, first of all there was a damping bowl of soup on his nightdesk, together with a package of pills. Immediately his eyes shot open wide, did something drug him?! No wonder he wasn't able to remember the past days!
What to do what to do...!
Conan slipped with ease out of his bed and nodded to himself, the surveillance cameras. They surely would deliver good information.
A good five minutes later inside his father's study, he browsed through the data, eyes widening in shock as he recognized what seemed to be no other than KID.

KID, exhaustion visible in his body language, took care of him as best as he could. Every night he stayed with him, made sure he was alright; he saw cameras catching him inside the kitchen to make food for him, running off out of the house to return half an hour later with a bag of medicine, changing towels ever so often...

Conan felt the tight sensation of guilt crawling up inside his chest, he saw bits and pieces of his rival taking care of him, yet completely sure he never left him alone, only sleeping from time to time on the couch.
He couldn't help but chuckle bemused, breathing at the same time out.
"Oh KID... you idiot..."
He needed to pay him this back.