Guardian 3

Nothing happened. Did her words go past him?

***

Kaito couldn't bear all this. His detective huddled up on the couch, burried under a mountain of children and tears staining his lovely face. Shinichi was supposed to smile. To smile this sassy smirk of his and discover all those little secrets spread among the world, to reveal the culprit's identity in front of a baffled audience.
In his way, somehow, Shinichi was just like a magician. His talents fascinated people all over Japan. So similar and still different?

He flashed a glance at the little scientist, Haibara was her name. She seemed to stare at him but he knew for sure she couldn't see him. Miyano Shiho was too old to sense him.
What was he supposed to do? He wasn't able to talk to Shinichi, even if he wanted to. He couldn't touch anything, he, as an angel, slipped through any kind of material.
"...Akako. Koizumi Akako."
His words were a whisper, but loud enough for the Detective Boys to hear them.
"...visit her, Meitantei. Visit her... and I will await you there."
His wings unfolded and Kaito flew out of the house, making his way towards Akako.

Kaito felt tears dwelling in his eyes. Why did everything have to be so complicated? Shinichi was the reason for all this. Because Shinichi couldn't let go of Kaitou KID, because he couldn't grant his aching heart the peace it yearned for, because he...
Because he loved KID.
Kaito wanted to go, to leave this depressing place for a reunition with his father. He had so many things to tell, so many thoughts to share with his Oyaji. And these three words he desperately wanted to hear...

"I am proud."

Proud of his heritage as KID, proud that his son had accomplished what Toichi never managed.
Proud of him, Kuroba Kaito.
But Shinichi didn't allow him to. His desperation forced Kaito away from heaven, from his father. He had to remain on earth until Shinichi would let go of him...
Torn between the wish of seeing his father again and the desire to spend the rest of his life at Shinichi's side; Kaito wanted to scream.

He settled down in front of Akako's house and took the last few steps to the front door. Kaito didn't have to ring the doorbell, not that he was able to touch it anyway. He just stepped inside and walked the familiar way towards Akako's room. This all became so normal for him...
Kaito still remembered the first time he had seen Akako. She was a witch, a dangerous witch. And even tho he always denied it... she knew about his identity just like Hakuba, but she didn't dare to use this against him. No, instead she gave him hints and used her magic abilities to help him whenever she could. Akako knew the future, she could predict what would happen and prevented him from any wrongdoings. She was the one who had warned him about countless traps and prevented his death over and over again.
Until it had to happen...
Even a Red Witch had limits.

"Kudo-kun is going to visit me? And you want me to repeat everything you say?" Akako asked, her eyebrows disappearing below her hair.
"I know it's against almost every rule but... You know as well as I do that Meitantei can't let go of me. And... as long as he doesn't get over me, I'm unable to find eternal peace like Oyaji."
Akako breathed out a sigh and made herself comfortable on a blood red couch inside her room, next to the angel. She gained the habit of petting his beautiful white wings whenever he visited and the thief didn't dislike it.
"I hear desperation in your voice... Fine. This last favor, hm? And, Kaito..."
She reached out and took his hands in hers, her thumbs gently massaging his wrists.
"...I hope you are ready to go as well."

Kaito looked down onto his pale hands and hesitated a moment. What if he wasn't ready to let go of Shinichi either? He always ranted about his stubborn detective clinging onto KID but what if that wasn't all? What if-
"Kaito!!" Akako yelped, her eyes fixed onto her friend, "Y-you're floating!"
Kaito gasped and stared down onto the distancing ground.
"Wait!! What does that mean?! Why am I floating higher?!"
Akako tried to grab his foot but her hand went straight through him, letting her stumble further in shock.
"Oh god... Kaito, Kudo-kun let go of you! You'll get inner peace now! G-goodbye! Don't worry, I won't forget you!"
Kaito looked baffled. No way. Impossible. All of a sudden Shinichi let him go? Something must have happened. And... didn't he want to come to Akako? What had happened on his way here that he couldn't force Kaito to stay anymore...?

He floated higher and higher, Kaito passed room by room and finally slid out of the roof. Down below, he saw a person stumbling towards the house. Was it Shinichi? Kaito was too far above the ground that he could properly examine his features. But... What was that on his back?

...brown wings?

Akako opened the door without Shinichi ringing it and gasped as she recognized the male in front of her. She hissed something at him and pointed upwards to the floating Kaito before Shinichi proceeded to open his wings and darted after him.
Kaito felt so light... He saw how his body began to vanish, slowly, bit by bit. He wasn't scared of it, it was warm and comfortable... like a winter evening with hot cocoa. His legs were gone by now... Replaced by a few puddles of light.
Now that he came closer and closer, Kaito recognized the second angel as his lovely Meitantei.
"Meitantei...," he whispered, a tear crawling down his cheek like a snail as he realized what his appearance meant, "You.... you died... you are... an angel..."

"KID!!!" Shinichi screamed, tears running down his cheeks. Just a bit closer...! If only these stupid wings weren't so difficult to handle...!
"Almost...!"
He opened his arms, crying out towards the vanishing phantom, so close to catching him in his arms.
"KIIIID!!"
But the body he hoped to tackle was gone right as he touched it.
KID was gone.

Shinichi froze; he looked left and right. No trail of KID to follow. His wings keeping him high above the ground was the only noise disturbing the heartbreaking silence. So close, he had been so close to see KID again, to hold him in his arms. To... to thank him, to get to know about his death.
But KID was gone.
He had slipped through his arms.

His scream was deafening, so full of agony and despair.

"KIIIIIIIIID!!!"

Now Shinichi had to wait for people to let go of him before he could ever hope to see Kaitou KID... and with Ran, this would last a very long time.

[END]

I hope the feels are hard ;)