Chapter 17: Old Home

Tsuna stopped when he came across a flat rock in the middle of a mountain for a break.

He fed himself and Kuroo some food and water they had bought in the morning before checking the time.

"It has been an hour since we climbed, and half the mountain left." He picked up the walking stick which dug into the ground and prevented him from slipping too often, then carried on with the hike.

~

When Tsuna came across a paved road, nothing could describe the happiness he felt. The road had been used not too long ago, perhaps his family was still living there!

He sped up his footsteps, a hopeful feeling bubbling in him.

~

A majestic white mansion appeared before his eyes. The plants and bushes seemed to be well kept, signifying that someone was still occupying the house and caring for it.

However, when he pushed open the white doors of the mansion, he found it totally empty.

Furniture was still present in the large building, and there was not dust at any corner of the mansion, but the building was absolutely silent, nothing like what tiny pieces of his childhood that he could recall.

"Mama? Papa? Yuni?" He called, hoping that they were just playing a game of hide and seek with him, and then pop out saying that he caught them.

His voice echoed down the empty hallways.

Tsuna immediately ran all around the house, with Kuroo in tow, and opened the doors of every room and did a thorough check to find any clues of his family's whereabouts.

Everywhere was neat and clean, and fresh flowers were placed in glass vases.

He finally opened the last door, one which had colourful wallpaper, and a large crib in the middle of the room. It was his and Yuni's room.

He spotted a letter on the bed, and immediately opened it up to read.

To my beloved son, Tsunayoshi,
I do not know how old would you be when you reach this place and find this letter, but you would have been old enough and long involved in the Mafia to know of this location.
I would rather have you be able to spend a peaceful life without a dangers of being dragged into this world inevitably when you grow up when staying with us.
I left you with Nana-san because I was sure that she could provide you with the same warmth, but even more protection away from the Mafia than I could provide you.
A while ago, I had a prophecy, that you would come to this mansion in the future. So I got trustworthy people to take care of this mansion during our absence. The mansion now belongs to you, Tsuna-chan, and will provide you with enough safety.
I'm sorry that I can no longer stay by your side and please always know that I dearly love you, and only separated you and Yuni-chan for both of your sakes.
We are safe, and we'll definitely reunite in the future.
Gamma and I love you a lot, remember that okay? Tsuna-chan.
Love, Mama

Tears dripped down Tsuna's face, onto the crumpled and yellowed paper of the letter.

A new flame, or rather, a new function of that multipurpose flame of his, was created.

He could tell, because of his intuition, that Aria did the same when she wrote this letter, and she was probably equally unhappy about having to leave him.

However, it still brought him a lot of pain knowing that his Mama was not on a "long holiday" as his family told him.

He decided to suppress those negative feelings as he took out his laptop and sat on the shaggy rag on the floor of his past room.

Hacking had always brought him solace, and that was exactly what he needed right now.

~

He stayed in the mansion for a few days, cooking ingredients left by the helper mentioned in Aria's letter.

Of course, it was inevitable to run into the cleaning crew that cleaned the house and stocked up on ingredients during those few days of stay.

They did their work quickly and it wasn't too long before they left the mansion yet again, but when they were still in the building, there was a lively air that Tsuna could sense, giving him a sense of comfort.

~

"Kuroo, let's go back." He gestured towards the black feathered creature, as he started walking towards the large doors of the house.

As he walked out of the elaborate steel gates of the two-laned driveways, he heard joyful laughter coming from behind him.

He immediately turned around at the sound, due to his enhanced reactions that came from his training, but found that all the lights in the mansion were still switched off, and there was not a single soul in the mansion.

'A hallucination,' he presumed.

When he got back to his apartment, the sun was setting, the sun dyeing the blue sky with hues of purple and orange.

He ate a light dinner and continued to delve into mafia databases and taking note of their many hidden secrets. knowing these secrets could possibly the cause of death of him someday.

873 words

I'm grateful for all the reads, votes and comments that I've been getting! ^_^