year 3 - the teacher (summer)

"Okay, Kai. Today's the day."

"For what, Master?" He looks like a mix of excited, scared, and determined.

He drops his bag on the ground. A loud thump tells me there are a lot of books in there. "I am going to teach you how to read and write."

I stare at him. Were my ears working?

"Kai?" Now he looks scared. "Today I am going to teach you how to read and write."

I remember the seer saying that omegas were never trained to read and write, because it would put them at an advantage over their master. Then Master's question on that day. If he could teach me to read and write. An excitement fills my stomach. Was this an honor? It was. I could be... what was the word...?

He taps his finger against my nose a few times. "You're gonna be literate, Kyrov."

I smile. Literate. That was the word. "Yes, Master," I say. "I am honored to be your student."

When I look up at him, he is smiling, too. "I'm so glad, Kai. Remember what I asked the seer?"

My tail lifts with happiness. "Yes, Master. I do." I look up at him again. "I was thinking of that day, too."

He laughs and pulls his bag onto his shoulder. "Now that school's almost done for the day, we can have the classroom to ourselves. Or one of them, at least. I'll show you. I can finally show you what it's like inside."

We walk down the path. It is quiet, but not uncomfortable. I could feel his excitement in the air. Although it is late afternoon, there is still activity around, with villagers moving carts and donkeys and walking with their children. Master ignores all of them unless they greet him first. Finally, we arrive at the school. There are other children sitting on the grass, talking and laughing.

Master drops the leash. "Shit. Why would they even want to be around here this late? They hate school."

"Maybe they just want to relax," I offer. "We can still enter the school."

"But I don't want to talk to any of them." He sighs and puts his hands in his pockets. "Maybe we can sneak around the trees and go around to the back."

"We could do that," I say. Or... "Master?"

"What."

"We could just walk past them."

He gives me a look of disgust. "You think they would just leave us alone? After all those other times? We just want to get to the school, not get in a million fights."

"We will act civil and not attack first."

His face is completely blank. But after a long pause, he sighs. "Okay, fine. But if something goes wrong, it's your fault."

"I am fine with that, Master."

He takes a deep breath. I catch a trace of nervousness from him.

"Master, remember that I will protect you, no matter what. I will be here with you. Do not be afraid."

He turns around, eyes wide. "...I'm not scared, Kai. I just don't want to be around them."

"It is okay, Master. Shall we go?"

"Yeah, come on. I'll show you."

The other children stop and stare at us as we walk to the schoolhouse, Master's fists around his bag's straps. Fear is coming off of him in large clouds. His breath quickens.

"It's that dog boy he owns."

Giggles and whispers.

Master stops, even more tense than before.

"Let us continue, Master," I whisper.

He stays frozen.

"He's cheating on Jacob."

"No, he's cheating on Merle!"

"With a dog!"

"Still?"

"Didn't know he went that way."

"He's a slut, like his mommy."

"Four in a bed, damn!"

"Kiss!"

More laughter.

"Master, let us hurry." I want to reach out and put my hand on his shoulder. I could feel the anger building. "Ignore them."

"It talks!"

"Does it howl in bed?"

"Hey, Alair, what's your favorite position?"

Master's breathing deepens, like he is trying to calm himself.

I stop whispering. "Let us go. We have better things to do than speak to these children."

There is a gasp from someone, but neither of us look for the sound. I stride forward, and Master walks with me.

We push open the wooden door and walk down the hallway. Master pushes open another door and pulls me inside a small room. He shuts the door and slides down against it, his breathing still heavy. I sit next to him, and I am reminded of our night with my clan. How could I comfort him?

He opens his eyes, his breathing returning to normal. "I'm okay."

His voice sounds strained, like he had been yelling. But his silence around the children was unsettling. He could lunge at them, break their bones, leave their bodies to rot.

"It's okay," he says. "They can't do anything to me."

Was he speaking to himself, or telling me? "Why are they like this to you, Master?" I ask quietly.

He says nothing. Instead, he stands and puts his bag on a table. He opens it and brings out a thin book, some paper, and a pencil. He flicks a switch, and bright white lanterns turn on in the ceiling. It is a big change from the warmer colors in the lanterns at home. He opens the book. "Let's start at the beginning."

I try to feel if he is truly fine, but his fear is masked by a more confident air. "Okay."

He pulls the chair from the table. "Sit here."

I take a seat and find myself on the floor, my backside aching. When I turn around, I see the chair sitting away from me.

He giggles. "That's the oldest trick in the book."

"...I suppose I won't fall for it again, then." He is normal right now... right? I stand and push the chair in to sit normally at the table.

He stops laughing, then starts snorting and laughing even louder. "You're good, Kai."

When I tilt my head in confusion, he sighs and takes the seat next to me. "'Kay. Let's start with the letters. And then I'll show you how to hold a pencil."

I expected something about me taking a long time to learn, but there is nothing.

"Kai, does that sound good? Letters, then pencil?"

"Yes, Master. I am ready."

"Good. Then let's get started."