year 4 - enchanted (spring pt.2, jacob)

Jacob wanted to answer the door naked, but it wouldn't be a very proper thing to do. He had arranged the table and chairs so they could face each other. A small pitcher of water and filled glasses sat in the middle, with his paper and pen for show. How great it was to have an excellent memory. For some reason, he thought of Merle, and how envious she was of this ability.

He frowned. I don't think I invited you into this conversation, Merle.

He stared at the water. This should go well. And if his face got too hot, he could drown himself in the pitcher. And then he can lick it off of me. He rolls his eyes, smirking. Of course that would happen.

The knocking pulls him back into reality. His stomach is still so nervous, despite running through the questions beforehand. Clearing his throat, he twists the doorknob and opens the door just a bit. "Hello."

Dear God, so close. Luna's eyes are the first thing he sees. He opens the door fully. "Welcome, Luna. Thank you for coming."

"Thank you for inviting me." He steps into the room, admiring the sunset. He turns to Jacob, who's just closing the door. And locking it. Luna's ear twitches. "It is not often that I am asked to speak about these things," he continues, his voice level.

Keep speaking. Sing to me, Luna. There's heat gathering in Jacob's body. "Well, Luna, I am honored to learn from you," he says, his voice slightly lower than intended. "Please, have a seat. Have some water."

They're sitting across from each other, and with each minute, each question, each answer, there's a growing ease, a loosening tension. Luna becomes a little more animated, even using small hand gestures for emphasis. Jacob returns his calm energy, asking for more information, bathing in the mix of sunset and Luna's scent. The omega takes another sip of water, and Jacob notices his glass, almost empty.

He's definitely loosened up since the start. He continues to speak about his clan, how he met his master, the contract, living among humans, the full moon, his duties to the dean and the university. And Jacob remembers everything. But especially how he moves, how his voice is. His gentle eyes.

When the interview is over, he and Luna sit across from each other, sipping water, watching the sunset fade faster and faster into the horizon. The calls of owls begin to emerge.

"Your story is so interesting, Luna," Jacob says. "Omegas are a curious type."

"It is just life," says Luna. "I prefer to go along with it and make something good of it." He pulls the scarf away from his neck slightly, taking a deep breath. The collar gleams in the fading sun.

"That's a lovely philosophy, Luna." He sips his water. He wonders when he can sneak tea out of the university kitchen. "I've always thought, though, that if you really want something, you need to work hard for it. Be a little more aggressive."

"It sounds like we are opposites."

"But it doesn't mean we can't live together."

"Yes. I appreciate that." He lifts the hair from his neck, like the room is too warm.

Jacob watches his hands, the fluid motion of his neck as he continues watching the sunset. "Luna?"

"Yes, Jacob?"

"Is there anything in the world that you would really, really like to have?"

The wolf tilts his head. He looks puzzled. "Simply living here and serving my master is what makes me content. I could be in a worse situation, but I am lucky to be here."