year 4 - passion (spring pt.4, jacob)

"There is another omega, I've heard," Luna says. "He is in a village some distance away from here. He is younger than us, but he has been serving his master for a few years now. He might be valuable in your research."

"How did you hear about him, Luna?"

"My clan. This past full moon, I overheard them speaking about it. They smelled his clan on the borders of our territory, and the omega serving them."

"Do you know which village it happens to be? Or who this master is?"

Luna shakes his head. "I'd say it's one that... well, my clan's territory is here. If you cross our territory's border, in that direction..." He points to the thickest grove of trees. "You will cross into the territory of that omega's clan. And their territory surrounds the village that he lives in, along with his master."

Jacob's stomach quivers with apprehension. Could it be...? He turns to Luna. "That sounds wonderful, Luna." He smiles when he sees Luna's ears straighten, his eyes brighten. "I'll look at some maps that have this area and find the best way to travel there." He smiles at the wolf, with all his gratitude, all his love. "Thank you, Luna."

Luna looks down shyly. "It is good for humans and wolves to understand each other." He looks up through his lashes. Jacob's heart wrenches. "It does not need to be today or any time soon. It is likely that they will be together for a long time, like my own master and I." He blushes. "You stated that if you want something, then hard work will make it happen." The corners of his lips lift slightly. "I think that is called your passion."

His scent hangs heavy around them, tying them in a connection that Jacob has never felt before. To stroke his hair, bury his face into his neck, embrace him and never let go. What is this? Jacob finds that his own face is warm, too. He reaches out to grasp Luna's hands, gently, in both of his.

"Luna." The wolf looks up. "You're right. It is my passion." His smile breaks Jacob's heart. "I want to learn about him, his master, his clan, everything. So that I can learn more about you, too. I won't disappoint you."

Luna nods. "Even if you find something else to study, I just want you to be happy, Jacob. As you have made me."

A sudden blurring causes Jacob to release their hands so he can wipe the wetness from his eyes. Why...?

He embraces Luna, tightly. "Thank you, Luna. I..." He takes a breath. He wants to kiss this wolf. Tumble into the wildflowers with him, play in the airy grasses. Spend days and nights with him, just being together. "Luna. I never want to forget you."

Luna's arms are around him, too. "Jacob. I never want to forget you, either." Those words, his embrace. So warm, and soft, and that scent of a fruitful summer, of sunshine, and easy laughter.