Lost...

Draco was shaking, his eyes still wide and unbelieving in shock."This...this can't be. Just a few days ago he was helping me with my potion. No..."

Harry went to him, wrapping his arms around the panicked blonde as he stood there, motionless and dreadfully pale.

His breathing quickened."N-No...no I'm fine, I need to see mother. I-I need to be there for her, I need to know who dared to do this."

"Draco, look at me,"Harry's grip around him tightened as he began to feel the breathing quicken and his body shake even more,"You're not fine, you're shaking."

Just like that, Draco stiffened, and he glared at Harry. Harry's caring nature and care for him triggering his defensive side."Let me go, I'm fine, and I don't need you or anyone else comforting me."

"Your passive and defensive act may work on anyone else, but not me,"Harry brought him close to his face,"I can see right through you Draco, and I see that you're hurting and that you need someone to be there for you. So just let me be that person, please."

Draco pushed him away forcefully, stepping away backwards, his eyes glaring and watery."I said I don't need you, Potter. Those two weeks taught me a thing or two, and one of those things is that I-I don't need to depend on you. I can deal with things on my own, like I've always done."

"No, you don't have to be alone. I'm here for you, really, I've just been busy. I'm trying, I want to be there for you."

Draco shook his head, his eyes even more watery than before. He took out his wand, then apparated upstairs. Harry didn't follow him, but he heard noise, and suddenly Draco was back downstairs, a small suitcase in his hands.

"Wait, what are you doing? What's that for?"he asked, dread slowly spreading through him.

"I'm going home, I need to go home,"Draco replied quickly, avoiding his gaze,"Less time to worry about me for you, and don't bother owling either. I'm fine, and I don't need you watching me like a child."

"Like a-? Draco, I told you, I'm not-I'm just looking out for y-"

"Harry, don't bother arguing with me. I've made up my mind, and it's not like it'll be much a change will it?"

Harry hopelessly watched as Draco watched towards the fire, picking up the floo powder. He looked at Harry with the same watery, angry eyes,"Don't worry about me, I'll be perfectly fine without you."

"Wait Draco don't-"

"Malfoy Manor!" With one last look, Draco disappeared from Harry's view, engulfed in the bright green flames.

~~~

Let it not be said that Harry didn't try following Draco back to the Manor, because he did try, he tried flooing right after him. The unfortunate thing was that it was turned off almost immediately after Draco used it. He couldn't apparate, he knew that for a fact, and even if he did try any other source of magic, he knew Draco would tell him to go away.

It hurt, he admit it. When Draco said he didn't need him.

The last look the blonde gave him told him otherwise. Draco was on the verge of a breakdown, and Harry felt useless, not being able to go to him and hold him in his arms and tell him he was there for him. It was clear the two weeks he was busy did a number on his emotions, and Harry understood that. He was distant, and every time he did come home he ended up falling asleep, or usually doing research in the library and making plans.

In a way, he supposed it was like he ignored Draco's presence.

He collapsed on the couch with a groan. How could he be so stupid and dense? If he hadn't been so involved in what was going on outside, maybe Draco wouldn't have left him to cope with his grief on his own. It'll just be worse, he knew that, and it was his fault for not connecting with him in the first place. No, maybe if he worked harder, then maybe his father wouldn't be dead. He could almost see Hermione shaking her head at him in that cross way that she became so good at.