Chapter 3

C H A P T E R  T H R E E

Zach's P.O.V

A loud buzzing sound jostled me awake from my dreamless sleep.

I groaned a little bit, sitting up in bed. My head felt a bit foggy from having such a deep slumber, but I waved it off and felt around for my alarm clock. When I had found it, I smacked it hard, either turning it off or breaking it. Each option would work for me, however I've gone through three alarm clocks in the past school year.

Carefully, I got out of bed and found a t-shirt and jeans in my dresser drawers. After I had put on, or thrown those on more rather, I made my way to the bathroom. I turned on the sink and splashed lukewarm water onto my face, attempting to wake myself up a little bit.

My sightless gaze then turned to the mirror in front of me. For a split second, I wondered what I would look like now, and I assumed it would be much different than when I was in elementary school.

To be honest, I probably wouldn't be much taller. My growth spurt was nonexistent.

I couldn't even really remember what my family looked like anymore, and I missed the ability to use my eyes. Shaking away that thought, I left the bathroom, went down the stairs with extreme caution, and into the kitchen.

"Morning, Mom," I exclaimed, hearing her footsteps not too far away.

"Hey, Zach!" she replied warmly, gently putting her hand on my shoulder. "How'd you sleep?"

"Fine." was the first response that came out of my mouth.

I couldn't see it, but I knew she had a smile on her face, and I loved that feeling. Making people happy was my goal in life, and that would never change. I sat myself down in one of the kitchen chairs and got myself comfortable. Just then, I heard the sound of running footsteps approach.

"Zach!" I heard Hayleigh yell.

"Hayleigh!" I gushed, a smile spreading across my face.

I felt my little sister jump into my lap and I put my arm around her. I felt her soft, innocent laugh against my chest and it filled me with so much joy. I let out a little chuckle and coaxed her off my lap with my hand amongst her upper back, immediately hearing a high-pitched whine.

"It's almost time for me to leave for school," I sighed, faux pouting echoing through my lips.

I heard Hayleigh's laugh again as she responded, "You think you have it hard? I have to go to second grade!"

I heard Mom begin laughing from across the room and I burst into a laughing fit, gently grabbing Hayleigh with one arm and rubbing the top of her head with my fist.

"Zach, let me go!" she giggled, almost in hysterics from giggling.

I swear, if positivity was a drug, Hayleigh was addicted. She's like a literal ball of sunshine and nobody, I mean nobody, should be able to take that away from her. She's too pure for this world.

I sighed, releasing my grip. I heard her run away due to the sound of her extremely loud footsteps. It's like a herd of elephants with that little seven-year-old.

"Let's go, you two," my mom playfully exclaimed.

I heard Hayleigh rush in front of me to get outside. Reluctantly, I grabbed my book bag, which hung loosely from the back of my chair and walked out, mindful of where I was going. I climbed into the front seat of the car and got myself settled just as my mom began to pull out of the driveway.