Chapter 13

C H A P T E R  T H I R T E E N

Zach's P.O.V. (continued)

"Wait, we're going where?" I asked, my sightless eyes widened in shock.

"Florida," the doctor replied. "Since our hospital doesn't exactly have the technology required for this procedure, our larger campus in Orlando would be the place to go."

"How much is this going to cost?" Mom inquired, getting a bit concerned.

"Insurance can cover most of your flight," he answered matter-of-factly. "Don't worry about that."

I had forgotten that we'd have to take a plane. I absolutely hate flying...and heights.

Can't forget about the heights.

My family surprisingly didn't take a plane from Washington to move here in New York, which I'm grateful for. They would've never gotten me on that plane because it's happened before, but I don't want it to happen again. Flying is one of my least favorite things in the entire world.

Hayleigh must've sensed my worry, because I heard her ask quietly, "Are you okay?"

I nodded quickly, swallowing the fear that weighed deep into my thoughts. Quite a few flashbacks swirled through my mind and I waved them away the best I could. If this worked, it'd be totally worth it. I entwined my fingers tightly in my lap while listening to my mom and the doctor's conversation.

Suddenly, I felt my hands get yanked apart, and I felt Hayleigh jump back into my lap, clutching my left hand with her small fingers. I couldn't help but smile as she leaned against my chest.

"I thought you said I was a dork when I did this," I noted, a smirk dancing across my face.

"I guess I'm a dork too, then," replied Hayleigh, who was enjoyingly ruffling my hair.

I chuckled a bit. Sometimes, Hayleigh seems much older than seven. She always has the best advice to give, and knows exactly how to get my mind off of things.

"When do you think the earliest operation date would be?" Mom asked, turning my focus from Hayleigh to their conversation.

"I'd say about three weeks from tomorrow," he answered. "Does that work for you?"

I gulped nervously. I could practically taste the anxiety I was feeling, and it felt like it was a pot of boiling water about to boil over.

That soon..?

"That works," I blurted out after a moment or two of silence.

"You sure, Zach..?" Mom inquired with an unsure tone. She knows why I'm all of a sudden so nervous.

I nodded, thoughts flooding through my mind once again. "I'm sure."

After a few more minutes of conversation between Mom and the doctor, the appointment was finally over. I sighed in relief as the door shut behind us. Honestly, I was getting quite bored, and almost fell asleep again. Running my fingers through my hair, I let out a small groan, attempting to push the dwindling thoughts that sunk through my skull.

"Zach, you don't have to go through with this if you don't want to," my mom exclaimed, setting a comforting hand across my back.

"I want to," I replied with fake confidence, which seemed more real than anything. "More than anything."

Climbing into the front seat of the car, I slammed the door behind me. Putting my hands in my pockets, I leaned back against the head-rest. Flashbacks roared through my mind quicker than I could process them. My heart started pounding inside my chest uncontrollably.The sensation of free-falling hit me hard until someone shook me to my senses.