Chapter 19

C H A P T E R  N I N E T E E N

One week later.

Zach's P.O.V.

"Have you gotten your things packed?" Mom asked from the doorway. "We're leaving tomorrow right after lunch."

It felt like my heart had completely stopped at her words. Either that or it leaped out of my throat.

Each day, the flight comes closer, and now that knowing that less than twenty-four hours from now, I'd be on a plane, my anxiety was as strong as ever.

It gets worse and worse each day, but right now, it's probably the worst it's ever been in my entire life.

I zipped up my backpack, which I used to pack my essentials, minus my guitar which I couldn't take, unfortunately. I would've taken it if I felt more comfortable with the whole thing, but I decided to leave it behind.

"Yeah," I replied. "Just finished."

I heard her footsteps enter the room as she sat on my bed, putting a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"Are you sure that you're okay..?" she inquired, concern flooding through her voice.

I nodded, even though it wasn't the whole truth. It was too late to back out now, even though I was so nervous I could puke. I put both my hands in my pockets, attempting to conceal my anxiety. Letting out a soft, wavering sigh, I hesitantly responded.

"I'm fine."

I've gotten used to saying those words, even though they aren't exactly true. Everyone seems to know it as well, since they all still ask afterwards if I'm alright. I shut my eyes and lowered my head towards my lap, even though it didn't make a difference sightwise.

Taking one hand out of my pocket, I ran my fingers through my hair. To be perfectly honest, I missed the feeling of Kelsey's hand in my own, and I really needed it right now. It helped lift my confidence a lot, and personally, it's one of the best feelings I can think of.

A moment later, I heard my phone ring. It was a bit confusing, since I never have anyone text or call me because I don't have too many friends. I started to get up before Mom stopped me.

"I'll get it," she stated, picking my phone up from my dresser.

"Who is it?" I asked, scratching the back of my neck.

"Kelsey," she replied and my face lit up.

I couldn't hold back a small smile. Somehow, she knows exactly when I need her. Mom handed me the phone and I put it against my ear.

"Hello?"

"Hey Zach, how are you?" Kelsey's familiar voice echoed through the phone.

"Hi Kelsey, I'm fine, and you?" I replied, my eyes lighting up from just the sound of her voice.

I heard Mom's footsteps quietly fade away as she whispered, "I'll leave you alone." She then shut the door behind her, leaving me to talk to Kelsey.

I nodded in her direction, listening to Kelsey's response. "I'm okay. I just wanted to check on you."

"Thanks, Kelsey, that really means a lot," I responded, suddenly getting a little emotional.

"Also, since tomorrow's a teacher workday, and your flight isn't until tomorrow afternoon, I was also wondering if you'd like to come over tomorrow morning?" asked Kelsey gently. It seemed like there was hope in her quiet voice. "I can give you a ride to the airport afterwards."