Chapter 16

C H A P T E R  S I X T E E N

Kelsey's P.O.V. (continued)

I couldn't stop thinking about what Zach had told me about an hour or two ago. As I got into the car, leaving his driveway, I gazed into the doorway where he and Hayleigh were standing. His face was still a bit red from earlier, and Hayleigh was clutching his legs in a comforting hug. I gave them both a bittersweet smile, and pulled out into the street.

Upon putting my right foot lightly on the gas pedal, I looked over one last time and saw that Zach was still standing in the doorway, and Hayleigh had left. He gave me a small wave and then walked inside, somehow knowing I was still there.

It didn't take me long to get back to my house due to the fact I was driving a bit faster than normal. I pulled into my driveway, shutting the headlights of my car off, then turning the vehicle off completely. Getting out of the car, I felt a soft buzzing noise come from my phone, which was in my back pocket. Confused, I pulled it out, and there was a text from an unfamiliar number.

"Hi Kelsey, this is Hayleigh from Zach's phone. He told me to tell you thanks for being so nice earlier. It meant a lot to him, and you really helped him out. I don't know why he was so sad, but thank you for making my big brother feel better."

As soon as I saw the text, the largest smile appeared on my face. This was the first time I blushed over a simple text message, and I'm so glad I could actually do something to help someone else. I brushed a few pieces of my long hair away from my face as I responded to the message.

"Hi Hayleigh! Please tell Zach for me that it was no problem at all, and that if he needs anything, I'm only a phone call away. I'm here for him always."

Not even ten seconds later, another message popped up on my home screen, making my phone quietly buzz again.

"He says thank you."

"No problem, Zach," I replied to the text, making it directly to him.

I put my phone back into my pocket, and pressed the lock button on my car keys, making the horn sound abruptly, and it almost seemed cheerful. Clutching the keys firmly in my hand, I made my way up the front porch stairs, and opened the front door.

It was a bit late, so I wanted to remain quiet, in case my parents were asleep. Almost in silence, I hung the keys up by the door and walked inside.

"How was it?" my mom's sweet voice exclaimed from the family room.

I stopped in my tracks, honestly surprised that she was up this late.

"I had a good time," I replied, and I did. "Zach's little sister, Hayleigh, is absolutely adorable."

"I'm sure she is," Mom laughed as she stood next to me, putting a hand on my shoulder. "How's Zach doing?" she asked not even three seconds later.

I sat down on the couch, pondering how I should respond. Zach seemed extremely upset while I was over, but afterwards, he seemed okay-ish. I replied with the most honest answer I could come up with.

"He's doing okay, I think."

"His mom was talking with me the other day, and brought up the surgery," she noted with a smile. "That's exciting."

"Yeah," I responded, remembering back to when he first told me about it. "Zach seems to be looking forward to it."

"I would be too," she stated warmly. "I can't even imagine being in his situation."