Chapter 18

C H A P T E R  E I G H T E E N

Zach's P.O.V. (continued)

"So, your surgery has been moved ahead a week?" asked Kelsey when I told her the news. "That means it's a week from Saturday.."

I nodded, attempting to keep the nervousness I felt out of proportion. I hated feeling vulnerable in front of people other than my family, even Kelsey. Even though I know that she cares, I want to seem stronger than I actually feel. It seems like my confidence is deteriorating almost every day, and I don't like it one bit.

"It's going to be okay..," she reassured, entwining her fingers with mine. "I promise you that.."

She clearly could see through the mask I was attempting to put upon myself. I let out a sigh, putting my other hand in the pocket of my sweatshirt. Thoughts began swirling through my brain, and they weren't going to leave me alone anytime soon.

I felt Kelsey's arms gently wrap around me as she pulled me into a hug. Gratefully, I returned it, her soothing touch helping a little bit. I felt her head against my chest, her soft breathing comforting me.

"You two are so adorable!" Luke exclaimed playfully from a few yards away, ruining the moment. I'm not sure where he even came from. He just kinda appears.

My gaze darted towards the sound of Luke's voice, and his tone completely changed. I couldn't hide the emotion or whatever it was, that I felt anymore. "You okay, Zach?" he asked with genuine concern.

"I'm fine," I replied stubbornly, my voice cracking at the end of my statement.

"No you're not," Luke retorted. "What's going on?"

I bit my bottom lip, unsure of what to say. Kelsey and I had broken away from the hug, but she still clutched my right hand gently. I could feel my hands physically trembling, and her grip slightly tightened, making it stop eventually.

Before I knew it, I had spilt the entire story to Luke, about my parents, the plane crash, everything. I could feel tears struggling to roll down my face, but I forced them away. I wasn't going to freak out.

Not in school.

Not now.

When I had finished speaking, there was only silence. I lowered my blind gaze to my shoes, unsure of what to do or say. Why did I even say that..?

After a moment, Luke spoke up.

"Oh my God, Zach, I'm so sorry..," he said quietly, putting a comforting hand on my shoulder.

I brushed a single tear away from my cheek as I replied hesitantly, "It's okay, I need to get over it."

"You're handling the situation way better than I would," confessed Luke in an attempt to lift my spirits. "I'd be in full on panic mode.."

"I am in full on panic mode," I retorted, then quickly regretted it. "Sorry, I shouldn't have said anything."

"Seriously, Zach, it's okay," Luke replied. "I understand, really.."

"We both do," Kelsey chimed in supportively, leaning into my shoulder in a comforting manner. "Honest."

"You don't know how much that means to me," I confessed almost silently, wiping yet another tear from my face.

A moment later, I felt Kelsey hug me again, and this time, Luke joined in from the other side. Gratefully, I returned both hugs, and it truly made me calm down just enough so that I wouldn't go insane in the middle of a class. A moment passed, and none of us said anything during that time.