Chapter 4

C H A P T E R  F O U R

Kelsey's P.O.V. (continued)

The laughing grew a bit louder at the table, and I wasn't sure if it was a friendly gesture or not. I thought having a crush was totally normal, but apparently not on a blind person according to these girls. They must think I'm stupid.

I didn't think I was stupid. Nobody can control who their crushes are, not even Amelia and her friends, who acted like the monarchs of this aggravating place.

It's a high-school, not a kingdom. You come here to learn, not to create an army of annoying girls who pick on absolutely everything you do. That's just toxic.

"Fine," I gave in with a sigh, not wanting to admit it. "Yes, I do. Is there a problem?" I inquired defensively, glaring at Amelia.

Amelia's cold eyes stared into my angry ones as she inquired, "Why him, though?"

"Yeah," another of Amelia's friends piped up from across the table. "He's a freak."

Good grief, when can this girl just shut up already?

"No he's not," I retorted furiously, brushing a piece of my hair behind my ear. "He seems like a nice person to me."

"Yeah, to you," Amelia fired back, a snobbish look plastered upon her face. "He doesn't even talk to other people."

"Because nobody even gives him a chance," I replied with an upset tone, and then I asked uncomfortably, "Can we change the subject now? I don't want to talk about it."

It took a couple moments, but eventually, Amelia nodded, and like she promised, the subject changed almost immediately. I sighed of relief, not wanting any more embarrassment to crash down on top of me.

"So, who all is going to the pool party that our friend Kelsey is hosting?" Amelia asked, shooting me a friendly look.

Everyone started talking at once, but I kept quiet, wanting to finish my lunch before the bell rang. Luckily, I was about finished a few minutes before the end of lunch, and we all walked out of the cafeteria together like a large flock of birds.

Except one seemed to begin to drift away from the group, and that one happens to be me.

~•~•~

After my last class, I went looking for Zach before Amelia and her friends took me home. It didn't take me long to find him, because all I had to listen for was Jonathan's loud voice taunting him. When Jonathan had left after a few minutes, I walked up and gently tapped Zach on the shoulder.

"Hey Zach," I exclaimed with a friendly tone.

He seemed a little bit startled when he turned around, so I apologized. "Oh, I didn't mean to scare you, I'm sorry.."

"It's okay, Kelsey," he replied with a gentle smile on his face. "What's up?"

I was a bit surprised with his response. How could someone who couldn't see, and that was being picked on have such positivity? I snapped back to my senses a few seconds later.

"Oh, I was wondering if you needed a ride to the party on Saturday?" I questioned.

"Sure," Zach responded, scratching the back of his neck anxiously. "If you don't mind."

"I don't mind at all," I said, a little bit louder than I meant it to be, but at least it got my point across.

"My mom would normally take me, but she has to look after my little sister, Hayleigh, while she has a friend over at that time," he stated, a smile on his face.