Chapter 27

C H A P T E R  T W E N T Y - S E V E N

Zach's P.O.V.

I don't know what's wrong with me.

Ever since I asked Kelsey to be my girlfriend, which was about a week ago, I've been having more and more thoughts about my family and how I'm not a true part of it. It's been slowly chomping at the bit in my mind and I don't know how much longer I can take it.

I know one thing for a fact: I don't want to snap...

A quiet sigh escaped my lips as I stared down at my lap. Vaguely listening to the lecture my current teacher was giving me, it was getting difficult to obtain complete focus. Especially since this class is for literature, and that's not a very interesting subject in my opinion.

I flipped through the pages of my textbook, pretending to pay attention, but reluctantly closed it as I lifted my gaze to the whiteboard, which was covered head to toe in notes. I don't like this class one bit.

I enjoy being in the back corner and out of everyone's way. It helps me to concentrate more and I don't seem to get noticed as much as I would being near the middle or the front. I twirled my pencil around my fingers boredly as I stared up at the clock.

Only a minute left until this darn class lets out.

I watched the second hand slowly crawl its way around the clock's face until finally, the bell rang signaling the end of this horrid class.

I clutched my books quickly and waited for everyone in front of me to exit the room. One thing about being in the back is that you have to wait for everyone else to leave before you can. After everyone had left, I followed behind, subtly nodding my teacher a quick "thank you" as I left the room.

My locker is literally right next to this classroom, so I rounded the corner and opened it as soon as I walked through the doorway, shoving my books inside. I could hear voices at every corner and everything was still extremely overwhelming.

I slammed the locker door behind me and turned around. I noticed Jonathan walking by, an unreadable expression on his face. He looked towards my direction, rolled his eyes, and kept on walking.

That's odd. He normally stops and annoys the living daylights out of me.

"Hi Zach," Kelsey exclaimed from the other direction. Her voice seemed cheerful, yet understanding at the same time.

I turned around to face her, putting both of my hands in my pockets since they're absolutely freezing. "Hey Kelsey."

"How are you?" she inquired with a comforting tone. She always asks that when I look upset, but I didn't think I was upset. I just feel a bit lost on what to do about my family.

"Fine," I replied, which was a little bit of a lie. "Why do you ask?"

"I'm asking because I care," Kelsey responded with an honest expression.

"I'm okay, thank you, Kelsey," I said, a small smile growing across my face. "Now I'll ask you for a change."

Kelsey let out a small yawn and then replied, "I'm tired, but that doesn't matter. I'm doing fine."

"Want to ditch classes and take a nap?" I joked, suddenly realizing how awkward that sounded. "Sorry, that sounded a bit awkward."

"You're good, Zach," she answered with a laugh. "I'll take a nap when I get home."

I smiled, shoving yet another unwanted thought out of my mind. I have no idea what's going on with me, but I want it to stop. I ran my fingers through my hair, feeling a bit uncomfortable all of a sudden, and I felt a few chills run down my spine for absolutely no reason, making me shudder a little bit.