Chapter 26: Goodbye

"What do you mean? I'm dying." Damien asked concerned.

"You will die at sunset." I said quietly.

"What?!" Damien asked shocked, he was so shocked he accidentally let go of me.

"Scarlett!" He screamed falling backwards.

I told him not to let go, but no one ever listens to me. I swoop down, and dive into the air like a diver would, headfirst. Damien is falling, his arms flailing as his whole body went into panic mode.

"Damien stand still." I yell over the sound of wind as I rush down. I finally reach him and grab him. My wings start flapping again and I could see Damien's relief.

"Thank you."He said breathless,the adrenaline starting to leave his system.

"No problem." I said with a smile. "You looked like you were trying to fly with all that arm motion you had going on."

"I was just... um... I was just... signaling and making noise so you knew where I was." He said.

"Uh-huh." I say unconvinced. "Whatever keeps your ego intact, and helps you sleep at night."

"Where are we going?" Damien asked.

"Just hush, and let me fly."

"So you're a angel or a..."

"Demon?" I finish for him. The black wings can be intimidating. I thought with a smile. "No I am the Angel of Death or I was the Angel of Death, I haven't asked God about it yet."

"He's real?" Damien asked shocked.

"Yup." I replied back.

"So I'm going to die?" Damien asked sadly. I don't want to answer him. How can you explain to someone that they are going to die.

"I'm sorry." I said truthfully.

"Dammit Scarlett! You can't do anything? Save me? Resurrect me? Stop time forever and let me live this day with you for a 100 years?" He said angrily, pleading with me to be the solution to his answer.

"Damien what do you expect me to do? Move heaven and Lux for you. I can do all those things. Stop time. Resurrect you. I can save you. I can do all those things but I won't Damien. I won't." I said.

"Why Scarlett? Why? You would do it for Obsidian!" Damien demands.

"Because the price would be too high. Everything has consequences. This is fate. Your death is written in the stars. It has to happen in order for other things to happen. There's a prophecy. And you have to die." I explain.

"But why me?" Damien asks like he expects me to give him an answer. I stay silent. I can't help him, but I can at the same time. I think that's the worst part. I think the lonliest moment in someone's life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart and all they can do is stare blankly.

 "Damien this is your last day. You have 6 hours to do whatever you want, and then I will personally take you to heaven. Okay?"

He nods, thinking. "I want us to go to us to go to Werewolf's Mountain."

I transport us there and were on the peak of the mountain it's completely dark and oddly calm.

"I always wanted to see the sunset on the horizon from here. I heard it's beautiful, but since I'm not going to make it by then. I want you to see it." He said mourning his own death.

“It's a curious thing, death." I said, Damien looked at me. I continued. "We all know that our time in this world is limited, and that eventually all of us will end up underneath some sheet, never to wake up. And yet it is always a surprise when it happens to someone we know or to us. It's like walking up the stairs to your bedroom in the dark, and thinking there is one more stair than there is. Your foot falls down, through the air, and there is a sickly moment of dark surprise as you try and readjust the way you thought of things.”

"I'm dying." Damien said, realizing the gravity of his words.

"You know in the end, nobody dies a virgin." I said absentmindely.

Damien looked at me, his eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

"Why's that?"

"Because time screws everybody." Damien laughed, a real geninune laugh, and it made me smile because that way he would die with a little laughter.

"I want to give you something." Damien said, he slowly takes off the necklace on him, it's a small rectangle stone, held by rope, on the stone are the words 'Ignite' . He placed it on my neck.

"Ignite." I said aloud.

"Ignite." He repeated. "My mother use to say to never fan the flames of despair, but instead ignite the spark of hope. When she died, this necklace was on my favorite tree, and I knew it was from her. I want you to have it as a reminder of me, and a reminder to always ignite the spark of hope."

"Thank you." I said quietly. "Damien?" I asked. I turned around towards Damien.

Damien died.

The sun had risen on the horizon and I realized that Damien saw it. He saw the sunrise, and that made all the difference. I walked over to Damien,"Bye for now." I whispered, pressing a goodbye kiss to his cheek, I ripped out his soul and took him to heaven.