Chapter 13

Jinyoung was standing beside Mark's table as the latter was signing the reports. Mark stood up after signing everything and giving the files back to Jinyoung.

It was already lunch time; and Mrs. Young was already at the cafeteria downstairs.

Jinyoung waited for Mark's words that they were going there now because he was almost starving.

"We'll go outside today," said Mark, "For lunch. There's a new restaurant at the junction of this road, but we'd better go there by car," said Mark, as walking there would take much longer time.

"Ah, should I phone Mrs. Young, sir? She's already downstairs, waiting for us. And call her to come?"

"No, let her be. But call her anyway, and tell her not to wait for us."

They used Mark's car, and Jinyoung drove to the restaurant as Mark gave the directions.

It was a fancy restaurant, instead of an expensive one, that was what Jinyoung thought, when they arrived there.

They seated at one corner near the window, and the waiter was standing beside them, waiting for their orders.

Jinyoung took one of the two menus, and all his thoughts of the restaurant not looking so expensive, vanished right away.

The prices were described beside the dishes; and Jinyoung wondered whether it would be better, if he just let this lunch go, without ordering anything. It was not like he could not afford it, but just that he did not want to spend so much money just for a dish.

"Order anything you like. It's on me. Think of this as my treat," said Mark, seeing Jinyoung's hesitation.

"O-okay, sir. Thank you." Then he turned to the waiter to order; and then Mark did. The waiter left, afterwards, with the order note.

"This one is new, but already famous for its renowned American chef. That's why I brought you here. I mean, I was curious of the taste," said Mark.

"But seems too expensive."

"You don't like it? Or you just feel bad for me?"

"The second one. I shouldn't have followed you, sir."

Mark, smiled, unknowingly, at how Jinyoung was taking this as a big issue. But he did not like what Jinyoung had said, concerned with not following him.

"Then treat me next time. Wherever you like."

Jinyoung nodded, taking a mental note to remember it.

It was about fifteen minutes past the office time when they were back at the company.

"Sir, someone has requested to see you, said she was your friend. And I'm sorry, sir, she's already waiting in your room. I tried to make her wait in the waiting room, instead, but she was persistent to wait in your room."

Mark frowned at Mrs. Young's words. They were in front of Mark's room; and the latter opened the door and entered it, with Jinyoung following behind.

At the sound of the door opening, the person whose back was facing the door, and who was sitting on one of the sofas, which were for the guests, turned around; and her face was bright when she saw Mark.

"Mark!" She stood up and came towards them, but her eyes were all on Mark. "Long time no see!"

At the last words, she was all over Mark, wrapping her hands around his body for a hug.

Transfixing on the spot, Jinyoung looked at the sight, in front of him. He wanted to turn away his eyes at once, reminding himself that it was not his business; but he did not, although something like fear was gripping his heart.

"Gayoon," Mark muttered, but already pulling her off him, "When did you arrive back? Last time you said, you'd be staying there for another year or so."

She giggled at Mark's words and hit his arm playfully.

"Surprise! Because I wanted to make an unexpected visit," she paused, as her eyes ran over Mark from head to toe, "Mark, you changed a lot! You're no more a boy, all boyish and young. You look more handsome and gentlemanly now. Do you know how much I missed you?"

That was enough, Jinyoung thought; it was not something concerned with him and he should give them some privacy. But his heart felt heavy at that thought, which was almost bitter for him.

Jinyoung turned to the direction of his place; but Mark saw it and disentangled himself from Gayoon's hands touching his body, as she gave compliments to him.

"Jinyoung, wait."

Jinyoung stopped and turned to Mark, who did not know why he called the younger in the first place.

"Yes, sir?"

"Ah, nothing. Right, you can go." His eyes followed Jinyoung, as the latter went to his table straight away.

"Who's he?" asked Gayoon, calling Mark's attention from Jinyoung to herself again.

"My secretary. Look, Gayoon, I'm quite busy. We can meet later."

"But I'm not going back now, whatever you say. And I'm really sorry to hear uncle's car accident. It must have been too sudden for you," said she, following Mark to his table.

Sitting at the table, which was at the corner of the room, Jinyoung could hear almost everything Mark and Gayoon were talking.

"I've bought presents for you. I'll bring them next time we meet."

"Thanks," said Mark, opening the workforce file while she was standing beside him.

Later, she continued to talk about her work experiences in Canada and how she was loved by her colleagues there.

Mark heard some of the words, but his attention was somewhere else. He glanced at Jinyoung, who was all silent at his table and reading a file.

Normally, Jinyoung would come to him and most of the time, he was near Mark, concerned with work. But now he was all quiet.

Only after another hour of talking on and on, Gayoon left, insisting that she would phone him that night.

The moment she left, Mark went to Jinyoung, who was still sitting at the table.

"Jinyoung, she's just-"

"You have a meeting at 2pm, sir. Excuse me, I should go and arrange for it," said Jinyoung, already standing off his chair and walking to the door of the room. Mark remained on the spot; what was that, Jinyoung? He almost ran his hand through his hair, in frustration.

"Jinyoung," Mark muttered softly, which made Jinyoung stop and look at him. They were at the car parking; and Mark wanted to clear the air between them.

Mark had tried to get some alone time with Jinyoung since the meeting had finished. But the younger always mentioned work, whenever Mark seemed to initiate some personal words.

Jinyoung looked at him, almost impatiently and not trying to hide his desire not to listen to what Mark had to say.

Mark took a long breath, "She's just a friend," he paused and Jinyoung made no reply, "An ex, to be exact."

Jinyoung gave him a questioning glance, like asking him why he was saying this to him. But an ex? Jinyoung questioned in his mind. Yet she had acted almost like his girlfriend, Jinyoung thought.

Mark tried to read Jinyoung's eyes; he did not want Jinyoung to misunderstand him and Gayoon.

"See you tomorrow, sir."

Just like that, Jinyoung turned around and left Mark on the spot, going towards his own car. And Mark's eyes followed him and all his actions, letting out a quiet sigh.