Chapter 17

"Let's go to that restaurant again today for lunch," said Mark to Jinyoung, referring to the new restaurant near the company.

It was an exclusive one, Jinyoung remembered, but still he agreed to tag along with Mark.

Mark was checking the montly sales report, and Jinyoung went back to his desk to type the e-mail that confirmed the appointment to one of the company's business partners.

The door of the room was opened, revealing Gayoon in the doorway and bringing the attention of both Mark and Jinyoung to her.

"Mark, morning!" She closed the door behind her and walked towards Mark.

Jinyoung looked away and tried to focus on the e-mail instead, but yet, he couldn't help eavesdropping them.

Gayoon sat down on the chair in front of Mark's table, crossing her legs and waiting for Mark's attention.

Mark let out a sigh; Gayoon's presence and her persistence to come during the office-time was slowly getting on his nerves.

"Mark!" She called him again when he didn't respond.

"Gayoon, I'm working."

"You're too much, Mark. You always say you're busy and that you can't spare me time. And yet you have time enough to flirt with your secretary."

Mark's eyes turned to a flaming rage, and then he turned to look at Jinyoung, who was looking at them but then turned back to his computer immediately.

"What're you talking about? I tell you I'm busy because I really am. Don't you see it? And don't involve anyone else in this shit."

"I'm only stating the fact, Mark. You said you would give me some time yesterday. But till the last hour and even after work, you just ignored me. Am I just nothing? Why do I have to keep taking steps but not you?"

Mark inhaled a long breath, closing his eyes.

"So what do you want?"

She smiled a victory smile and said, "Make up to me. Go out with me at the lunch-break."

Mark turned to look at Jinyoung again but the latter was no more looking at them.

"Sorry, I can't."

"Why? You can't do me even a small favour?"

"I promised Jinyoung to take him out for lunch. Next day, perhaps, if you still want to go."

She took a glance at Jinyoung with despise, and in a voice that she was sure Jinyoung could hear, said, "Why are you like that to me, Mark? Am I not as important as him? For God's sake, he's just a secretary! What in him do you see attractive?"

Jinyoung bit his lip at those words, in anger and shame; for his whole life, it was the first time, he was being competed against by a woman.

"Stop that nonsense, Gayoon. And don't drag him to your nonsense."

"Nonsense?" She laughed, as if hearing a joke, "Is that nonsense, Mark? Remember, we broke up not because we fell out of love. Because you wanted me to pursue my dream, and I'm here, Mark, back to your arms. But is that all I get back? So just like that, you choose a mere secretary over me?"

Jinyoung did not know how to feel or understand this anymore. Should he hope that Mark would continue defending him in front of his ex; or should he just consider himself an unnecessary obstacle between the couple?

"Yes, we didn't fall out of love," Mark started, "But we didn't love either. At least I didn't. We were young, college students back then. I thought I loved you, but through these years, I've realised if I did love you, I wouldn't have given up our relationship even when you left to Canada. And think of everything back, Gayoon, you didn't love me either. We separated our ways on the easy terms."

Her eyes were starting to brim with tears but Mark ignored them.

"I can't believe you, Mark. I came back with all the hopes that I would enjoy the rest of my life with you. Have you forgot all our memories together? A couple that everyone was envious of. Nothing left in your heart?"

"Enough. We both know that we're already over, and why are you digging everything back? You're no more than a friend to me now."

Mark turned to Jinyoung, who was all silent at his desk; he must have heard everything already, Mark thought, and a sort of panic overwhelmed his heart.

"Is it all because of him? Just because of a secretary? How did he seduce you, Mark?"

Mark stood up off his chair, in anger, and pointing at the door, said, "Leave. Leave now. You've already crossed my patience."

"What? Are you throwing me out?"

"Yes, I'm telling you to leave right now. Leave, I don't want to hear any more words from you."

Gayoon bit down her lip in anger, and stood up off the chair; and with a glare at Jinyoung, left for the door; opened it and slammed it shut behind her.

Mark rubbed his face with his palm, to control his mind, and slumped back against the chair.

Out of nowhere, she came and tried to destroy everything, Mark thought. He tilted his head to look at Jinyoung but the latter was still at his desk, all silent.

Mark didn't want to move, trying to calm his mind.

After a while, he headed for Jinyoung's place and stood behind the chair.

"Jinyoung, I'm sorry. She crossed all the lines by accusing you."

When there was no reply, Mark took steps so that he was now leaning against Jinyoung's table and facing the younger.

"I'm okay. You don't need to worry about me," said Jinyoung, his eyes refusing to look at Mark, "But what if you would regret later, because you said all those things to her? Why didn't you explain her, instead, that we're no more than an employee and his boss?"

Mark's hand reached for Jinyoung's, which was lying on the table, to hold it, but Jinyoung removed his, not accepting to be held.

Mark let out a sigh, withdrawing his hand. " Jinyoung, you don't understand me. Why would I regret later?"

"Yes, I think I really don't understand you. Please, sir, please, stop making me feel like I'm important to you. It's all confusing for me."

"Because you're important to me, Jinyoung."

Jinyoung stood up; he wanted to have a rest from all these things.

"No, I'm not. I'm just your secretary. Sorry, excuse me, I'll come back later after a few minutes."

Jinyoung left Mark and went to the door to go out of the room; he wanted to take some air outside.