vi. you don't own me

➩ 𝕤𝕠𝕟𝕘 𝕤𝕖𝕝𝕖𝕔𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟: 𝕓𝕖𝕨𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕞𝕪 𝕝𝕠𝕧𝕖 𝕓𝕪 𝕨𝕚𝕟𝕘𝕤

AMANDA WALKED UP the steps to Hill Valley High the next morning alongside Jennifer, meeting with her at the crowded steps of the school as she usually did. Noticing the lack of energy her friend usually had made her question what was making her act like this. "What's with that pouty face? Something wrong?"

Smiling the insignificant boy drama off, Amanda shook her head as if it weren't bothering her in the slightest. "No, no, nothing's the matter." Jennifer raised a brow to her knowing that something was, in fact, the matter, but Amanda still persisted regardless of her friend's suspicions. "Really Jen, besides we're taking lunch still to study for that bio exam right?"

She laughed at this casual shift in conversations. "You and I both know I'm the one who needs more of the studying for this, but of course Amy. I'll see you then though sorry, I forgot my math textbook in my locker and I'm going to need a pillow to get through this history lecture." Jennifer rushed off soon after and Amanda chuckled under her breath and stopped by her own locker. Setting aside the textbooks she used for her homework last night to empty her things she didn't notice the individual now eagerly coming over to greet her.

The slamming of a body against the locker beside her caused for Amanda to jump as she nervously peered past the locker door to see Dylan leaning against the other side with a smug grin. Not finding this as amusing as he seemed to she was straight forwarding in addressing his behavior the night before "Could've told me you're friends with the biggest jerk I know oh, I don't know, before asking me out on a date."

He sighed deeply and took one of her hands in his gently. The calloused hands met hers roughly, but she was easy to believe him to mean his next words by his genuine it felt. "Look, we're all different people with our friends, I'm sure you know that. I really want to get to know you, doll-face. Past what other people have to say about it." Leaning forward to be at her height, the light in his eyes made Amanda want to believe he had the best intentions at heart. That she wasn't as gullible as her friends thought she was. "Do you trust me?"

The question lingered unto her thoughts for a moment, until a huff coming from an annoyed McFly interrupted her as Amanda turned to see his eyes focused onto Dylan. His eyes turned down to his hand slipping out of Amanda's and he clenched a fist defensively. "Look Dylan if you're trying-"

"Marty-" Amanda placed her hand softly onto his chest to have his mood and attention shift instead to his friend. Her eyes were wide out of worry for him starting a fight now and he eased out of his reactionary behavior to her words to him, like she always seemed to be able to do. "I'm fine. I can handle this."

Dylan smirked up to him, shrugging his shoulders. "Yeah McFly, like I told you at your show last night, Amanda and I have a date tonight. Her and I were just planning on when I would be able to pick her up, right?"

Amanda nodded to this for them to exchange a knowing look as Dylan left whilst Marty chuckled in disbelief over what he'd witnessed. He then turned to her seriously as she heaved a deep breath for the argument that was sure to unfold over this. "Amy, you can't be serious? I would've thought you'd at least cancel the plans for tonight after knowing who his friends are?"

"What does it matter to you what I do anyways? It's just one date," Amanda told him, beginning to head to class before she was late, "You've gotta stop protecting me from everyone when I might not need it, Marty."

The thought she was trying to suggest seemed absurd to him. Watching her try to leave the scene, Marty instead stopped her in her tracks to stand in front of her instead. Not accepting this from him this morning she stood there unconvinced despite watching his brows knit in worry over the words to follow. "What if the one time I'm not looking out for you you get hurt?" Even saying the thought aloud made him sick. He couldn't imagine any hurting her no less something bad happening to her. "What happens then?"