xx. pink shoe laces

➩ 𝕤𝕠𝕟𝕘 𝕤𝕖𝕝𝕖𝕔𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟: 𝕤𝕙-𝕓𝕠𝕠𝕞 𝕓𝕪 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕔𝕣𝕖𝕨 𝕔𝕦𝕥𝕤

WAKING UP the last day to what would be the last day in 1955, Amanda stirred awake to notice it was still early from when she had actually drifted off to sleep. Dressing in not much of a hurry, she made her way downstairs to see Marty pouring himself a cup of coffee already to her surprise. "You're up?" Amanda turned over to see it had just turned 8. "And early too?"

"Couldn't sleep," Marty mentioned to raise the cup in his hands. "Did you want some?"

She nodded and made her way over to watch him pour in the cream and sugar for her. "I don't think I slept for more than an hour. I barely shut my eyes when—" The phone started ringing to have her look to it confused. Going over to the sitting room, she took the cord in her hands to take the call, seeing as the Doc was nowhere around. "Brown estate."

"Oh," A young girl answered timidly on the other line, "I wanted to know if I could speak with Amanda?"

Marty raised a hand to her expectantly as he wasn't being kept in the loop on what was going on while his friend continued to sit confused. "This is she?"

"Oh! Amanda, this is Lorraine! I just wanted to know if you'd like to come with me and Betty to Ruth's Frock shop? We're getting our dresses for the dance tonight," She explained.

Amanda covered the line to look to him with an answer and still just as confused as before knowing the intentions of the caller. "It's your mom? She's inviting me to go to pick up their dresses with her?"

"So go? You've gotta keep playing along with this?"

Sighing deeply, she held the phone back up to her ear. "Sure what time should I meet you by?"

"9:30! It'll be great, I'll see you then," Lorraine said before she hung up the line to stand up to him in disapproval.

Only knowing all of this was going to be unnerving for her he handed the cup of coffee off to her. "I'll drive you over, it'll be fine."

"Should just tell her you're taking me to the dance instead to get her off your back," She thought, sipping the coffee he'd made just how she liked it.

"She's never gonna believe George to be good enough that way, you know that?" Marty explained.

Rolling her eyes over him continuing this, she went along with it again. "Sure, sure. Whatever you say."

Wondering if the discomfort stemmed from anything other than hanging with a crowd of people she would've usually been annoyed by, Marty gave her a cheeky grin over the thought that came into his mind. "I mean you're not jealous I'm going to a dance with my mom, are you?"

"Oh please, your mother made a pass at you. You're gonna spend years trying to get that out of your head," Amanda returned in disbelief that he'd even think for a moment she was the kind of girl to be jealous.

Marty couldn't help to laugh at this with her, about to continue it on before the sound of the Doc coming up from the lab sounded from outside. The door at the front of the house slammed suddenly to have the teens turn to see him tired and entering inside. "I'm sure you two haven't got much sleep then?" He mentioned as he stepped over to us briefly.

Amanda shook her head and continued to look to him worried. "You alright, Doc?"

"Oh it's fine, I'm fixing the car up for tonight," Doc explained to take the keys and look to them seriously, "You two just focus on the dance, alright?" Marty and her nodded to watch him leave out the door just as quickly as he came.