Chapter Two

Song: Can't Let You Go — Sarkodie ft. King Promise

*Unedited* (Dedicated to abbyraechris08)

Edinam and I were going to Auntie Olivia's shop. She was the shop owner whose television I'd been watching. It sat on the parlour of her small shop.

There were visitors at my house, so I was allowed to leave, and it was Tuesday, so the boys were at school. It was sad that I was watching television while they were at school.

We were going to watch 'The Incredible Doctor Pol', but the problem was that the other girls were watching some stupid Mexican telenovela. All they do is watch Indian and Mexican telenovelas, and not even the good Mexican novellas made by Telemundo. God forbid they watch an interesting movie with plot twists.

But Edinam and I were too smart to fight with those girls. We strategized and we executed. We set a reminder on the show, and immediately the clock struck eleven, the channel automatically changed to 'Nat Geo Wild', the station the show was on.

It was too bad that we couldn't celebrate openly. We had to muffle our giggles when the cry of dismay was released. The girls knew we were the ones who had done it because honestly, we were the only ones smart enough to do that. Without proof though, they could do nothing but glare.

I was watching Doctor Pol perform a caesarean section on a bitch that had problems delivering her puppies when the town's most well—known gossip, Sara, decided to ruin my mood.

"Did you girls hear?" She piped. Edinam and I ignored her because we were the only ones who understood the show enough to focus. The other girls were exclaiming in horror at how 'disgusting' whatever was happening on the television looked.

"Hear what?" One girl asked.

"You know that prostitute?" She asked. 'That prostitute' was her way of referring to me without saying my name. "Yesterday, Asabea, Prince Michael's personal maid said she was pining after the prince."

"I'm not surprised. We all know how desperate she is. It's not like he ever even looks at her," another ignorant idiot said.

It was laughable, truly. Me, pining after a boy? I had to cover my mouth to stop myself from laughing. It infuriated them all the more that not only was I ignoring them when I knew that they were talking about me, but also, I was laughing at them.

"She acts like she knows it all. Do you know that she doesn't even know how to prepare akple? At this age! Her mother beat her mercilessly yesterday because the akple was lumpy, salty and soft enough that you could mistake it for porridge."

The smile slowly slipped off my face, but I still covered my mouth with my hands. I didn't want them to see that they were getting to me.

"Ignore them Ellie. If they're content wallowing in their ignorance — thinking that a parent beating their own child for not being able to do something is right — let them. Don't stoop to their level," Edinam whispered.

I was trying to, but it was hard especially when Sara was sitting right beside me.

"You should've seen the way the prince waved her off. He was so tired of letting her down softly that this time, he yelled at her to leave him alone," she said, laughing.

I clenched my fists.

"She was pretending as if she could speak real English. She was babbling gibberish and the prince let her know that."

There was more laughter from the others.

"She was so embarrassed, but a prostitute feels no shame. She shook it off and was soon trying to lure the prince to her bedroom. The poor man. Guess what happened? He slapped her!"