Chapter Twenty-One

Song: Boom Bang Bang - Kuami Eugene (Elorm relates to this song so hardddd!)

"Of course not, she doesn't take drugs," Wolfgang said, his jaw ticking, "this is a date rape drug."

"What?" I choked on thin air.

Kofi looked at me with something akin to pity in his eyes. "You were drugged with gamma-hydroxybutyric acid. Do you have any idea who'd want to do something like this to you?"

"Of course," I groaned, face-palming when I thought of how stupid I'd been. "He's such a disgusting pig."

"Who exactly? Your fiancé?" Wolfgang asked, looking so angry that I was confused.

"No, no. Michael wouldn't do something like this." I shook my head.

"Who else then? His father?" Wolfgang looked so mad that I glared up at him.

"What is it to you anyway?"

He glared back at me. "Let's just say that I have a fervent hatred for rapists. Especially the ones who are cowardly enough to resort to date rape drugs."

I sighed. I should've known that he was just baiting me with that stupid story about having his heart broken. People like him didn't have reasons for being the way they were. They were just naturally evil people. "It was Justus. When I went out that day, I went to see a guy I'd met sometime back before my engagement to Michael."

Kofi scoffed. "I guess it's your own fault then."

Both brothers eyed him sharply.

"It's not her fault," Wolfgang said angrily. "Her fiancé was a jerk most of the time, I honestly have no idea why she put up with him. Besides, their marriage was just a marriage of convenience, they weren't being exclusive."

"Michael wasn't a jerk. If anyone was a jerk, it was me. I cheated after all," I sighed.

"You did?" Nate asked, frowning at me.

"Yes," I hugged myself. "Don't make feel guilty about it, you have no right."

"You slept with someone else? Is it this same guy?" Kofi asked.

I rolled my eyes. Like I would be stupid enough to sleep with Justus. "No, it was a kiss that wasn't reciprocated anyway."

They all laughed.

"What's so funny?" I asked indignantly.

"That's hardly cheating Ellie," Nate laughed. "Not that I'm encouraging people to go around kissing people other than their partner, but that is a stupid mistake that can be easily overlooked."

"You don't understand," I shook my head. None of them had been in love before, if they found this funny. "Even entertaining thoughts of someone else is wrong. I don't blame him for getting mad. I would've kicked him to the curb, but he gave me a second chance. Then I went ahead and turned our marriage into a business deal." My head hung in my hands. I'm so stupid.

"Did you love him?" Wolfgang asked.

I looked at him. "I do. A lot. We were just kids when we fell in love, not knowing what it was." I smiled sadly.

"Too bad you're never seeing him again," Kofi laughed.

"Are you really that heartless, brother?" Nate asked Kofi incredulously.

"Please, she's not in love with him. She's just confused." Kofi rolled his eyes.

"And how would you know that?" Wolfgang retorted.

"I just know. Besides, she's too young to be in love."

"Love doesn't know age," Nate said with a warm smile. I averted my eyes.