Chapter Fifty-Eight

Song: Someone You Loved - Lewis Capaldi (Yes I know it's not a Ghanaian song, but it fits this chapter so well and I love it)

*Unedited* (Do you guys remember when Kofi said he was going to break Elorm? So this is what he was talking about 😂😂)

Detective Asamoah probably didn't know that we were in a hotel filled with rich, paranoid people. A hotel that was tight with security for the lives of the people who had enough money for top notch security.

He had our bodies very close, leaving only enough space for his gun to press against my back. I began walking. I made sure the look on my face displayed panic and I began exaggerating my limp.

It worked. In no time, I'd caught the attention of one of the security guards. Her eyes caught the movement, her brows lowering with suspicion. I widened my eyes and subtly gestured with my head to the detective behind me. She came over.

"Is everything alright?" She asked. She had a familiar accent. Basically, it was the accent any Ewe person raised in Ewe land who allows their Ewe accent to dilute the English one had.

I smiled.

The detective shoved the gun deeper into my skin as a warning. "Everything is fine."

"He has a gun," I said, not in English, but in Ewe.

She didn't look at me or give any indication that she understood what I said. She just nodded. "Your... girlfriend, I presume? She's limping. You might want to have that checked."

"Yes, of course," he replied, digging the thing into my back. "We'll be leaving now. Thank you."

Then he began leading me to the lift. I observed the woman closely. She was walking away. She didn't give me any special look to show me that she was planning anything. She probably didn't understand me.

"What did you say?" The man asked once we were in the lift. By some stroke of bad luck, no one was coming inside with us. "And which floor should I push?"

"I don't know the answer to either question," I shrugged.

He pushed the third one, which unfortunately happened to be the floor we were on. "Don't play with me. I will not hesitate to empty this gun in you."

"If you do, there's no way you'll be getting away."

"Yes, but you'll be dead. Tell me which of those fates you think is better."

"I know you're going to kill both of us if you get the drive anyway. We know you're dirty."

"So what you're saying is that the drive has something that's worth killing you for on it?"

"I didn't say that. I said you'll kill us because we know you're dirty."

"Two suspected murderers' word against an honourable detective's? I don't think so," he sneered. "Tell me, what's on it? Did the dead man snitch?"

"Is there something he should be snitching about?"

"Don't play dumb with me girl," he lifted the gun and pressed it against the side of my head instead. "I know you know."

"You know I know what?"

He shoved me.

I winced, biting back a pained moan on slamming against the lift's doors. My ribs had healed faster than we'd expected, but there was still a dull ache triggered by manhandling. My recently relocated, mildly bandaged thumb too wasn't spared from the contact.

"Even if I don't, they're going to kill you anyway. We know about you. You murdered the chief, and now Mr. Faye. The infamous Elorm Nutsugah. It's nice to meet you," he said sarcastically.