Chapter Fifty-Two

Song: Plantain Chips ­­­— R2bees

*Unedited* (I made a mistake in the last chapter. Edinam is Elorm's cousin, but I kept calling her Etornam. In case you got confused, Etornam is the girl who Elorm's father got pregnant. Sorry ❤)

"Why did they just do that?" Kofi asked, pointing at my brothers.

I shrugged. "Atsu, Tsey, what was that?"

"Oh Elorm," Atsu sighed. "Everyone hates us even more after they found out that you killed the chief."

"I already told you that I didn't do that."

"You didn't tell me anything," Atsu retorted.

"She told me," Tsey replied. "The chief had a heart attack."

A frown was wedged between his eyebrows when he replied. "Then why did the chief tell us that you killed his father?"

"Michael," my fists clenched, "told the village that I killed the deceased chief?"

"Right after he allowed us to come back to our house. You were banished, actually. Supposed to be executed on sight if you ever returned," Atsu frowned even deeper. "Which is why I was surprised when I saw you here."

"Executed by who?" I asked, my calm voice masking the fury that was bubbling within me.

"I don't know, the executioner? If there is one. Maybe the palace guards."

"But the palace guards... didn't do anything to me," I looked to Kofi as if he had the answers, but he was just looking at my brothers, his face packed with confusion or concentration.

"You met the guards? Wait, Elorm, you never told us how you got here. And who is he?" He pointed at Kofi.

Kofi stood up a little straighter on seeing the attention fixed on him. "What?"

"They want to know who you are. How do I say that you're my captor?"

"You're not my captive," he frowned. "Tell them I'm your boyfriend. Isn't that the lie you told your ex-fiancé?"

"They're my brothers."

"And?"

I gave him a blank stare. "Never mind," I said. "It doesn't matter who he is. He's helping us," I told my brothers.

"Still, they won't care if he's with you. You can't go outside. They beat us up one day for just showing our faces, imagine what they'll do to you, who is to be executed on sight."

"I'll be fine," I said in a clipped tone. I went over to Kofi and grabbed his hand. "The food and mattresses. Let's go and get them now."

"You don't have to touch me," he replied, pulling away from my reach.

I rolled my eyes but I followed him outside. Atsu and Tsey were watching us, looking almost horrified as they saw me walking into the open space. "I'll be fine, don't worry. Lock the door and only open it when you hear my voice. Okay?"

They nodded.

"Good." I waited for them to lock the door before going to enter Kofi's car. Like I expected there were so many eyes on me, following my every move. These people were out for my blood. I had to be careful. "Michael told them to kill me on sight."

"What?" Kofi asked, bringing the car to life. The sound attracted more eyes and even I had to admit that it was disturbing the peace.

"He banished me without even letting me know. Who does that? Is that even legal? He said I was to be executed on sight."