Chapter Forty-Four

Song: Stonebwoy – Falling Again ft. Kojo Funds (Why was I laughing when writing this?)

*Unedited* (My people, I just read some of the starting chapters and I'm so ashamed, I want to cry)

Dedicated to Dessy_Strange for being a Ghanaian 😊

He groaned and shifted his head weakly, perhaps to let me know that he was still alive. Wolfgang was heading for the flat, and I couldn't get out to call him because I was injured.

"Hey," I slapped him softly, "I thought you said it wasn't poisonous."

"...isn't," he coughed.

His whole body seemed to clench as his hand automatically flew to his stomach. I frowned, confused as to what was happening when he fell back into my arms. He was breathing heavily on my jaw, his whole body warm to the touch and his hair sweaty.

I shouted Wolfgang's name, but he didn't hear me. He was just standing in front of the building like an idiot, waiting for us to come after him. Was asking why he didn't help Kofi so bad that he didn't even want to talk to me again?

"I... fine," Kofi muttered, just before his whole body clenched and his hand flew to his stomach again.

"You're not fine. It must be the venom," I said, grabbing his arm and turning it to face me.

The wound had stopped bleeding, but blood and dirt were caked all over it. He groaned, obviously trying to say something, but he just slumped onto my chest.

Luckily, Wolfgang started heading for us, probably wondering why we were taking so long. When he entered the car, he just frowned at the scene until I leaned forward and grabbed his hand then used it to touch Kofi's head.

"What the–"

"We need to take him to the hospital right now. I think he was wrong about the snake not being poisonous."

Wolfgang shook his head. "No. Those snakes aren't poisonous. Help me take him upstairs."

I glared at him pointedly when Kofi groaned and tried to remove his head from my chest.

"I think I know what this is, and if I'm right, he just needs some water. I'll take him upstairs." Wolfgang told me.

He grabbed Kofi's arm and flung it over his neck, then lifted his whole body so that he was somehow bearing Kofi's entire weight on his shoulders.

I never realised that he was that strong.

"Do you think you can come along? We'll be taking a lift to his flat."

"No, just hurry and put him in bed, he looks so uncomfortable in that position," his whole face was red and he was drooling slightly, "I'll come up in my own time."

"If you're thinking of running off, I want to promise you that you'll be much safer with us."

I smiled sadly. "I couldn't even if I wanted to." I gestured to my leg.

He nodded. "I'll be back, but if you want to come alone, we're on the third floor."

"Hurry," I told him.

I watched as he disappeared with Kofi. I waited until I was sure that he was in the building, then I grabbed the crutches and pushed the car door open. Getting out of the car with the crutches was hectic, but I managed it with a minimal amount of pain.

It was a posh area; as soon as I got off the car, people started looking at me like I didn't belong there. Like I was an intruder or a beggar.

I took a deep breath and practiced a few small steps, hoping that I wasn't wasting time. I began taking bigger steps and soon, I was walking at a reasonable albeit slower pace.