Chapter 3: Mixed Feelings

Adam took a breath of air. "You're...... pregnant?" He asked. Cerise nodded. Adam looked at her "I don't know if I should be mad or happy." He replied.

Cerise looked down. "Probably mad." She said. Adam stopped for a second "mad, why mad? Do you want me to be?" He asked.

"No. I'm just not sure who the dad is."  Cerise replied. Adam stared at her. "Cerise Isabelle, what did you do? Did you cheat on Judson?" He asked.

"What? No!" Cerise said defensively. "What.... the hell.... happened." Adam said sternly.

"I had a threesome. It was me.... Judson.... and Derrick." She replied.

Adam couldn't believe what he was hearing. "Derrick. You mean the guy that almost got you pregnant when you were 16 and then tried to have sex with you again? THAT Derrick?" Adam asked.

Cerise nodded. Adam bit his lip in anger. "You better tell the man you're about to marry that you might be pregnant with someone else's baby. If you don't, I will."

Cerise nodded again. Wiping a tear from her face, Cerise stood slightly. "I should go." She said.

Adam's eyes softened. "No, Reesey. Look at me. I know you're scared. I know you're not really sure what to do. I know you're not ready to be a mom. No one is every truly ready to be a parent. Was I ready when your mom got pregnant with you? Hell no. I was a wreck."

Cerise sniffled. "Your point?" She asked. "My point is, your mom and I will always be here for you. Pregnant or not."

Cerise stood again. "Happy Birthday." She replied. "Thank you baby girl." He said back.  He knelt down to her stomach and touched it. "And you, little one, behave. Stop making mommy feel sick."

Cerise giggled. Adam stood back up and gave his daughter a hug. "Go tell him. Now."

Cerise hugged back and nodded. She left without another word.

——

Back home, Cerise opened her front door. "Judson? Babe I'm home!" She yelled. She went up the stairs and knocked on the bathroom door. Judson swung it open. Startling Cerise a bit.

"You're pregnant. How could you not tell me this?" He asked. Cerise was confused "How...."

Judson crossed his arms "I found the test on the counter. When were you going to tell me this?" He asked.

Cerise sniffled "Now..... because...." Judson sighed "You think it might be Derrick's."

Cerise looked up. "God it's like you can read my mind." She said. Judson laughed softly. "You think I forgot about the threesome? I didn't."

"Are you mad?" Cerise asked. Judson shrugged. "kinda..... but I also shouldn't be.... because there's a possibility it's not his. It could be mine."

"I'm sorry." Cerise said. Judson shook his head. "I need a couple days. I wanna go home to Georgia. I wanna see my dad. I wanna.... talk to him about all of this. Okay?"

Cerise nodded. "I understand." She watched Judson pack a bag. Cerise began to cry once again.

Judson kissed her on the lips and gave her a hug. "Baby this isn't goodbye. I'm not leaving you. I just wanna go see my dad and try to figure this whole thing out. See what he thinks."

Cerise watched him walk out the door. She locked it before curling up on the couch and crying some more.

She fell asleep after a bit, a hand on her stomach. In her mind, she knew it was going to be a rough pregnancy. Emotionally and physically. Her journey to motherhood was just beginning.