Chapter 15: The First Night

Judson and Cerise brought the babies home one month after their birth.

On the day they were born, Lorelei weighed just 3 pounds. While Lincoln weighed 4. Their combined weight was 7 pounds.

Now, one month later, their combined weight is 8 pounds. Cerise laid on the couch with her little ones. Soaking up every moment of them being so little.

Austin showed up around noon. He was eager to meet them. "How is everything?" Austin asked.

"Things are great so far but.... I'm sure tonight will be rough. This is their first night home." Judson said.

Austin laughed. "Yup. That's how it works with babies. Good luck." Judson shrugged "Gee.... thanks." He replied.

"Are you sure you two aren't gonna need help with them?" Austin asked as he watched Cerise change their diapers.

"We're sure." Cerise replied. Austin shrugged "Okay, well, I'm gonna go home." He replied back and kissed the infants heads.

——

Eventually, night came. After just 30 minutes of sleep both Judson and Cerise were awakened by the sound of their crying babies.

Cerise rubbed her eyes, picked up Lincoln, nursed him, and then did the same with Lorelei.

Judson changed their diapers and then the two went back to bed.

Around 3:00am, after having been awake nearly all night; Cerise broke down in tears. "I can't do this!" She cried.

Judson, who was also exhausted, broke down as well when realized how stressed he was. "We suck at this." He said through his own tears.

Cerise shook her head as she laid her head on Judson's shoulder.

Sobbing, she called her dad. "Daddy, We can't do this. We're so tired. We can't get them to stop crying. Can you please come help us?"

Adam sighed as he listened to his daughter cry on the other end. "Baby, it's only the first night. It'll get better." He replied as he grabbed his keys.

He continued to talk to his daughter until he pulled into her driveway.

He walked into her house. "Cerise? Judson?" He yelled. He listened. He shook his head when he heard crying infants and crying parents. "Yup.... been there." He thought.

Slowly, Adam entered the bedroom and picked up a baby. He calmly held and rocked the baby. "Shh shh Lincoln. Papa's here." He said.

Lincoln's crying stopped and soon he was asleep. Adam put him in his crib and picked up Lorelei. Doing the same thing he did with Lincoln until she too was asleep.

"H-How did you do that?" Cerise asked, tears still falling. Adam smiles softly. "I've had my practice."