ᵀʷᵒ

Philip J Coulson had normalized the occasional alien invasion

Philip J Coulson had normalized the occasional alien invasion. He knew how to handle women with superpowers or men with super suits, but he was a complete novice when it came to dealing with children. Granted, he was a rather charismatic man, known to attract those of the opposite gender, so he had that going for him. But it wouldn't be much use to him here, where a small little silver-haired German lady was screaming at him.

Said woman happened to be Mrs. Daan waving her fist in the air as she shouted "Nein!" repeatedly. "Can you not read? This is private property! No trespassing!"

Coulson held out his hands trying to calm the woman down. He was struggling to understand her thick accent. "I understand, ma'am. I can, in fact, read." The two-piece suit looked very nice on him; it just wasn't very practical at this time of year.

"Then verlassen! Leave!" Ms. Daan stepped forward abruptly, shaking her fist so hard it might fly off into the neatly trimmed bushes. "I want no trouble!"

"Neither do I," the man said emphatically. "I just need to speak with one of the kids in there--"

"No! These are children under my protection. Safe!"

"Ma'am, please," the man said, practically begging. "I'm here on behalf of SHIELD--"

"Bah!" The woman scoffed with a wave of her hand. "Zur hölle with the lot! No government interference here! I shall go get paperwork--"

"Ma'am!" He was growing frustrated with the woman as she refused to let him speak. "Let me explain. I must speak with Lenna Williams. It is urgent."

"Oh," said the woman covering her hand with her mouth. She began shooing their audience away. "What is it?" she asked after all the children had cleared the area.

"S.H.I.E.L.D. has had its eye on Miss Williams for a while now, and we think it's time she's brought to live with her father."

"No." Mrs. Dann said furiously. "I've seen that man on the television. Always around women, always making big bombs and guns. No. Not my Lenna." She covered her mouth as her voice grew thick and whirled around.

Coulson followed her towards the Manor and pulled out Lenna's school picture from his pocket. "Please," he said, voice straining. "Tony Stark has just recovered from a near-death experience and we think it's changed his perspective on life somewhat. We want to help him improve and we think having a new responsibility would--"

"Not a responsibility, a daughter!" Dann said firmly.

"Right, my mistake," Coulson said somewhat shamefully. "Please. I'll be doing everything I can to help out. She'll have his assistant Pepper who will take care of her as well"

Mrs. Dann said nothing for a bit. She beckoned him inside the large door and through the vestibule. The housekeeper opened her mouth to complain but paused when she saw the look on the old woman's face.

"And Stark. Will he be there?"

"Of course. You can keep in contact too--"

"No," she shook her head. "It would be better if she left and never thought of this place again." She raised her hand to silence Coulson's protests. "Lenna? Ich weiß, dass du da bist. Wenn Sie nichts dagegen haben, stellen Sie sich bitte Agent Coulson vor."

"Ja madame."

Lenna appeared from behind a pillar holding two boys by the ears. They scampered away as she released them and approached Coulson slowly. Coulson was in awe of the girl. Having known her father for so long, he was surprised to see the resemblance in the daughter, but the picture could do no justice to the real thing. Her long brown hair cascaded around her doe eyes and over her glasses. She was practically a carbon copy of Tony.

"Miss Williams," Coulson said, holding out a hand for the teenager to take.

She took it hesitantly and responded appropriately. "What is this about?" she asked.

"I would," Coulson hesitated and glanced at Mrs. Dann who had her eyes covered. He cleared his throat. "I'm here to take you to your father. Have you heard of Tony Stark?"

She nodded. "I've seen him on TV, but he always seemed like a pompous asshole."

Coulson laughed. "Seems that way, doesn't he?"

"Don't tell me--he's my dad?" Lenna took a step back. "No, no, no."

"Miss--"

"Why is he just now coming for me? He's had fifteen goddamn years, and he's waiting until now?" Lenna started looking around at the small gathering that had formed.

"Tony wasn't even aware of your existence until--"

"Aw, hell no," she said, waving her hands. "Don't tell me I'm the result of a hook-up? Why am I not surprised?"

"Miss Williams--"

"How the hell did he figure out I existed?"

"Your eighth-grade essay won a national award, did it not?" Coulson asked. She nodded remembering the essay she wrote about how desperately she wanted to meet her dad. It was, honestly, just a pity play... the award money was pretty generous. "Well, your picture was submitted with it, and you bear such a resemblance to your father that S.H.I.E.L.D. conducted many studies into your paternity."

"Damn, English class was useful," Lenna muttered to herself.

"Miss, I'm sorry to have to do this to you, but I'm on a tight schedule," Coulson said looking at his watch.

"Oh, don't mind me, just reeling from the fact that my father is Tony Stark, but I can speed it up if you want," she snapped. "Look, I'm not going."

"This isn't a debate, Miss Williams."

"Don't call me that--apparently, that's not even my real name," she growled.

"Lenna," Mrs. Dann's stern voice interrupted. "Go pack your things."

"But, Mrs. Dann--" Lenna was silenced with a look.

Lenna struggled to keep a straight face as she pushed past the kids on the stairwell--shoving past Grant when he wouldn't move until she answered his questions--and stormed into her room. She managed to pack her entire existence at the Manor into a medium duffel bag and tore from the building at record speed.

"Here," came a soft voice. "Grant wanted me to give this to you."

Lenna looked down at the little girl who held up a piece of paper for her. "Thank you," she said softly. Her eyes watered as the girl hugged her thigh and ran away, waving goodbye. Lenna stood there sniffling and wiping her tears as she thought about leaving her home.

"Dammit."

Coulson was waiting for her outside leaning against his Corvette. She ran a finger along the hood of the car as she neared him.

"I hate to say it, but this is a magnificent ride."

"Thanks, but don't touch Lola. Now get in, I'm supposed to be in New Mexico soon."

"For a mission?" Lenna asked, setting her bag down on the floor of the car and sliding into the passenger seat.

"Yup, a mysterious unmoveable satellite."

"Can I come?"

"Not this time."