五十五

Iᔕᔕ ᗩᒪEEE

The fluorescent lights dimly lit up the dusty bare room. The old SHIELD logo was faded against the old wall.

"This is SHIELD," Nat observed.

"Maybe where it started," Steve said, looking around at the abandoned desks.

Their footsteps echoed loudly through the room as the traveled to a back room. Shelves were positioned on the sides of the rooms with large portraits on the far wall.

"And there's Stark's father," Natasha pointed out the crooked picture.

"Howard," Lenna whispered, "my grandfather."

"Who's the girl?"

Steve looked at the picture before pointedly glancing away. He turned and walked down the halls where a draft was entering the building.

"If you're already working in a secret office," Steve started. He pulled back the shelves to reveal an elevator. "... why do you need to hide the elevator?"

It was easy to get in the elevator. The room it lead into was dark and lit up when the trio was halfway in. Ancient screens were connected to a large control panel and data banks were silent in the room. The entrance was mostly clear and the panels that were there were covered in dust.

"This can't be the data point. This technology is ancient," said Natasha.

Lenna glanced at the desk. Right on top was a modern USB port that had two converter drives already inserted. Lenna took the USB from Natasha and inserted it into the drive. Moments later, the banks came to life, spinning and blinking.

"ᴵᴺᴵᵀᴵᴬᵀᴱ ˢᵞˢᵀᴱᴹ."

Lenna approached the keyboard and typed a response: "Y-e-s."

"Rogers, Steven, born 1918." Lenna backed up, started. A face appeared on the grainy screen and the camera was directly on Steve. "Romanoff, Natalia Alianovna, born 1984. Alexeev, Lyova Nikitanovna, born 1995."

Lenna looked at Natasha and Steve, lost. "What...?"

"It's some kind of recording."

"And someone got it wrong," added Lenna.

"I am not a recording, Fraeulein, and I am never wrong," the face flickered as it spoke. "I may not be the man I was when the Captain took me prisoner in 1945. But I am."

Lenna looked over at the smaller screen next to it. There was a picture of Arnim Zola.

"You know this thing?" Natasha asked Steve worriedly.

"Arnim Zola was a German scientist who worked for the Red Skull," Steve explained. "He's been dead for years."

"First correction, I am Swiss. Second, look around you. I have never been more alive. In 1972 I received a terminal diagnosis. Science could not save my body. My mind, however, that was worth saving, on 200,000 feet of databanks. You are standing in my brain."

"Nasty," whispered Lenna.

"How did you get here?" Steve asked.