Chapter Twenty-Four: Home

Link's POV-

Doug leads us to a large garage area with three large black vans lined next to each other, all with darkly tinted windows. Doug motions for one of the guards to take hold of Marcus, who's still breathing slowly, completely knocked out. Olaf carries Marcus roughly and puts him in the wide back of the van, shooting another tranquilizer into Cumberbottom's leg. "That should keep him." He mumbles, closing the van door loudly. Doug brushes his shoulder and waves his hand toward the doors of the van. Rhett and I walk with each other to the vehicle and climb in, our beloved crew members following. 

Constantine taps me on the shoulder and I am slightly startled by his large stature as I turn around. "I found these.." He hands me a small box, and I open it to find Rhett and I's wallet and phones. I let out a sigh of relief. I reach up to pat him on the shoulder. "Thanks man, I owe ya one." He smiles slightly and walks off with the rest of the crew. 

I hand Rhett his phone and wallet and he raises his eyebrows, "Wow! I never thought we would see these again!" He opens his wallet and flips through it, "Everything is here...I guess Marcus has some heart..maybe..I guess."

Doug hops in the drivers seat and turns the key in the ignition. The engine rumble tosses Marcus around in the back of the van, twisting his body in unnatural angles. Rhett chuckles, "He's gonna hurt later.." I am about to drift off into an exhausted sleep as soon as I hit the leather seat of the Chevrolet, when I suddenly remember:

"Where even are we?" 

"Southern California. About 3 hours away from where you guys are. I drove Marcus to you..which I now regret... but should be about that time until you are home." Rhett smiles. 

"It's about damn time," he says quietly.

"Also, since when do you talk so much, Doug?" I ask. I hope not to offend him, but I am just now realizing how much different Doug is since we first met him. I squint out the window at the rows of trees that pass us quickly, feeling my exhaustion set in.

"I guess...I was just scared to talk. But I'm not scared anymore..I don't think I'll ever be."

"Well, we'll always be here for you, bud." Rhett yawns, causing me to. 

As Doug and Alex continue in idle conversation, Rhett and I doze off. As I am about to fall asleep, I can see Mike and Stevie fast asleep next to us. We're about to be done with all of this, and I could not be happier. What a week..

Rhett's POV-

We wake up to the sound of a rumbling engine. It is dark now, and familiar street light of LA shine through the windows of this strange van. Link jolts from his sleep, rubbing his eyes with the back of his hands. 

"We're here." Doug remarks quietly, turning the steering wheel. I can see the the lit windows of our studio and my heart skips a beat. 

"Link!" I try not to scream from happiness. I rub his back roughly to help wake him up more. I point out the van window and I can see his eyes light up. 

"No way..." 

Mike and Stevie are awake already, and they poke Alex up from his sleep. "We're back," Mike says excitedly. "I can't believe it."

Doug pulls into a parking spot and turns off the ignition. He pushes a button, opening the side doors. The familiar smell of LA wafts through the car, and we all get out with shaky legs. 

Mike, Alex, and Stevie practically run into the building, shouting unintelligible joy. Link takes a little bit to get out of the car, so I wait for him patiently. Doug walks over to me and pulls me into a hug. "Thanks, man." he says in his usual low octave. 

"No, thank you bud." I say earnestly. "We couldn't have come out of their alive if it weren't for you."

Doug hugs Link and walks back toward the van with a wave of farewell. 

"Well what about Marcus?" Link asks. Doug laughs, "By the time he wakes up, he'll have forgotten everything. Besides, I know what to do now."

Doug drives off into the LA traffic, leaving Link and I standing in an empty lot. 

"I still can't believe that was real."

"Me neither."

We walk to the door of our office and are greeted by our crew and are showered with hugs and celebratory yells. I look over to Link and smile. I think of saying something inspirational, but At the moment I remember something:

"Is your wallpaper still a picture of me dry-heaving?"